"Longest Cave in the World" Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Cave National Park by CoAir13

Mammoth Cave National Park Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 243 photos

Still Discovering

Mammoth cave is the longest cave in the world and one of the first tourist attractions in the United States. Boasting over 350 miles of explored passageways, it is still being explored and it is estimated that there could be more than 600 miles in all! In 1941, Mammoth Cave reached official park status from Congress, was designated a World Heritage Site in 1981, and became an International Biosphere Reserve in 1990.

The vast underground of Mammoth offers different landscapes to explore. There are giant vertical shafts, from the towering 192 foot high mammoth Dome to the 105 foot deep Bottomless Pit. Some passages are decorated with sparkling white gypsum crystals, while others are filled with the colorful, sculpted shapes of stalactites and stalagmites.

The surface beauty of this park should not be overlooked. There are 53,000 acres of scenic parkland perfect for hiking, fishing, paddling, wildlife viewing, horseback riding, camping, and birdwatching.

Cave Tours

Cave tours are offered year round and can be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of physical ability. There is the 45 minute Discovery tour ( a self guided walk through the largest part of the cave) and on up to the Wild Cave tour which is an extremely strenuous 5 and a half mile journey in which you will be required to crawl, climb, and squeeze through small passageways off of traditional tour routes.

I highly recommend making a
RESERVATION for any of the tours offered at Mammoth Cave National Park. There are limits to the amount of people on the tours, and they sell out well in advance. Be sure to check the website for tour times, days, and restrictions before you head to the park!!

Admission to the park is FREE, but tours range from $7 to $46 for adults. Children MUST BE age 6 for some of the tours, age 10 for others. Some of the more strenuous tours DO NOT ALLOW anyone under age 16.

Mammoth Cave National Park

• Last visit to Mammoth Cave National Park: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 4, 2005

• Dec 28, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Boating and canoeing are popular past time at Mammoth Cave. The Nolin River is more narrow, so when we decide to paddle a canoe we need to be careful. It can hit a rock that’s buried beneath the water. nomadictraveler.net/mammoth-...

• staindesign's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2007 at 9:25 AM

I just got back from Mammoth Cave NP, I saw your page and since it is near me i just had to go and check it out! I totally loved the experience! Now I'm hooked to see National Parks!!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2006 at 1:24 PM

A second visit to this page (the first was a year ago) reinforces my desire to go there. I love caves, they are amongst the wonders of the Earth.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2006 at 3:16 PM

This is one of the few places in Kentucky that I have actually been to. Went there on a weekend while I was stationed at Fort Knox, but that was long ago and I don't remember much about it. I don't think I saw half as much as you did.

• Apr 3, 2006 at 1:30 PM

Just wanted to let you know the information on Green River Canoeing is incorrect. They offer the same trips through the MCNP plus cheaper prices. It is the oldest canoe service at MCNP. I enjoyed viewing your trip!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2005 at 3:50 AM

Wishing you a happy birthday! Enjoyed your Mammoth pages!!

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2005 at 7:19 AM

I didn't realize there was so much to do in this park. Heading out there next month and planning to do the intro to caving tour. Hope the crawling around doesn't freak me out. :) Great tips and photos here. Thanks for sharing!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2005 at 4:17 AM

I really enjoyed this page on Mammoth Cave. You and Ethan sure had a great time here and so much to do -- canoeing, exploring caves ( any bats? ), hiking on trails. Cool or what!!! Big hugs. Lori.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2005 at 6:05 PM

Great tips, Jen, for both above and below ground. The Star Chamber Tour is a new one for me. Guess we'll have to make another trip to see it.

• sambarnett's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2005 at 2:29 PM

Great page Jen! My girlfriend and I are visiting here next week and your pictures make me wish I was there right now!!

CoAir13

“People who deny evolution are they scariest of them all!!!”

Badges & Stats in Mammoth Cave National Park

Have you been to Mammoth Cave National Park?