"Longest Cave in the World" Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Cave National Park by CoAir13
Mammoth Cave National Park Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 241 photos
Mammoth cave is the longest cave in the world and one of the first tourist attractions in the United States. Boasting over 350 miles of explored passageways, it is still being explored and it is estimated that there could be more than 600 miles in all! In 1941, Mammoth Cave reached official park status from Congress, was designated a World Heritage Site in 1981, and became an International Biosphere Reserve in 1990.
The vast underground of Mammoth offers different landscapes to explore. There are giant vertical shafts, from the towering 192 foot high mammoth Dome to the 105 foot deep Bottomless Pit. Some passages are decorated with sparkling white gypsum crystals, while others are filled with the colorful, sculpted shapes of stalactites and stalagmites.
The surface beauty of this park should not be overlooked. There are 53,000 acres of scenic parkland perfect for hiking, fishing, paddling, wildlife viewing, horseback riding, camping, and birdwatching.
Cave tours are offered year round and can be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of physical ability. There is the 45 minute Discovery tour ( a self guided walk through the largest part of the cave) and on up to the Wild Cave tour which is an extremely strenuous 5 and a half mile journey in which you will be required to crawl, climb, and squeeze through small passageways off of traditional tour routes.
I highly recommend making a RESERVATION for any of the tours offered at Mammoth Cave National Park. There are limits to the amount of people on the tours, and they sell out well in advance. Be sure to check the website for tour times, days, and restrictions before you head to the park!!
Admission to the park is FREE, but tours range from $7 to $46 for adults. Children MUST BE age 6 for some of the tours, age 10 for others. Some of the more strenuous tours DO NOT ALLOW anyone under age 16.
Mammoth Cave National Park
Sturdy shoes with flat soles and lots of tread. Some cave tours require specific footwear, so be sure to inquire... more travel advice
Not really a danger, but taking pictures inside the cave is very tricky...even with the best equipment! In the larger... more travel advice
CoAir13's Related Pages
Mammoth Cave National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The people of Kentucky's gift to the Nation!!"
- "Longest Cave in the World"
- "Basaic Mammoth Cave National Park Page"
- "The World's Longest Cave"
- "Mammoth Cave"
- "Mammoth Cave"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mammoth Cave National Park
- Hotels in Mammoth Cave National Park
- Transportation in Mammoth Cave National Park
- Nightlife in Mammoth Cave National Park
- Restaurants in Mammoth Cave National Park
- Shopping in Mammoth Cave National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mammoth Cave National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mammoth Cave National Park
- 15 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Mammoth Cave National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mammoth Cave National Park
- Commented on one of staindesign's Mammoth Cave National Park travel pages
- Posted in Travel Cleveland Forum "RE: RE: Going to be in Cleveland..."
- Wrote a Review Prepare for the Cave in Mammoth Cave National Park What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "Prepare for the Cave"
- updated a Mammoth Cave National Park Travel Page "Longest Cave in the World"
Photos in Mammoth Cave National ParkSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cleveland Intro, 47 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Point Pelee Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arches National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Carter Caves State Resort Park Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos