"Beautiful Belize" Top 5 Page for this destination Ambergris Cay by CoAir13
Ambergris Cay Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 401 photos
My friend Juli and I wanted to go to Aruba, but it was Carnivale and there wasn't a room to be had! We decided to go to Belize instead. Turned out to be one of the BEST trips ever....and much cheaper!
Belize, formerly British Honduras, is a small country on the Caribbean Coast of Central America, bordered by Mexico and Guatemala.
It is a country of extremes, also. Northern Belize is low-lying and often swampy whereas, the South is home to the Maya Mountains which is actually a fragmented plateau. Along the coast is a chain of small coral islands forms the second largest barrier reef in the world! The rainy season is between June and November and the coast is hit hard with hurricanes. Many of the buildings (very small buildings) are made of wood and are obliterated when a hurricane comes in. In 1961, Belize city was destroyed and the capital was moved inland to Belmopan. There are dense tropical rainforests in the interior which covers nearly half of the country.
- Pros:Small country, friendly people, fairly easy on the wallet!
- Cons:Cities aren't the safest!
- In a nutshell:Subtropical beauty...and the reef!!!
There are no windows in the cabanas on the beach...only screens and shutters. To be awakened by the sun peeking through... more travel advice
If you are doing ANY activity in the water, bring an underwater camera. I didn't, and I've been kicking myself in the... more travel advice
CoAir13's Related Pages
Ambergris Cay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Relaxing Ambergris Cay Getaway"
- "A Short Stay on Ambergris Cay"
- "A real Gem"
- "Beautiful Belize"
- "San Pedro, Caye Ambergris"
- "Ambergris Caye"
- "Lively but still Belize"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ambergris Cay
- Hotels in Ambergris Cay
- Transportation in Ambergris Cay
- Nightlife in Ambergris Cay
- Restaurants in Ambergris Cay
- Shopping in Ambergris Cay
- Warnings and Dangers in Ambergris Cay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ambergris Cay
- 13 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Ambergris Cay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ambergris Cay
Photos in Ambergris CaySee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cleveland Intro, 47 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Point Pelee Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arches National Park Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Carter Caves State Resort Park Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos