"Suwalki - Off The Beaten Track By Nature" Suwalki by tpal
Suwalki Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 180 photos
My visit to Suwalki was in 1994 and I'm certain much has changed except, of course, for its history. This is a town which has served many masters over the centuries...Russians, Lithuanians, Germans and Poles. When I visited it was a pretty quiet place. It didn't seem like many tourists came there unless they were on their way to Lake Wigry and the National Park about 11km southeast of Suwalki. At the time the Polish currency had not been revalued and I recalled paying 1,000,000 zloty ($40.00 US) for my hotel room...a real high roller!
Still, this was a pretty good place to get a feel for what Poland away from the urban centers was really like. The past was strongly embedded in the psyche of these peoples. The horrors of the holocaust had not escaped them. Further, as of 1994, the promise of the democracy movement was advancing more slowly to this more remote area. It seemed they would struggle proudly a while longer. Certainly by now they have joined the celebration. I wish the people of Suwalki well.
Some things are completely unexpected. That is how I felt about Poland and storks. I had no idea that the long legged... more travel advice
After the bombing, and obviously after the war, little remained of the Jewish Cemetery. In fact, today it is simply an... more travel advice
tpal's Related Pages
Suwalki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Suwalszczyzna - the north-eastern corner of Poland"
- "Suwalki - Off The Beaten Track By Nature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suwalki
- Hotels in Suwalki
- Nightlife in Suwalki
- Restaurants in Suwalki
- Shopping in Suwalki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suwalki
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Suwalki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suwalki
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Difficulties Updating and..."
- Commented on one of evaanna's Suwalki travel pages
- updated a Suwalki Travel Page "Suwalki - Off The Beaten Track By Nature"
- Wrote a Review Give Luck a Little Extra Help in Suwalki Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Give Luck a Little Extra Help"
Photos in SuwalkiSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Dubrovnik Intro, 16 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como Intro, 31 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos
- Montreal Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buffalo Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Toronto Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos
- Milan Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Seattle Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos