"Suwalki - Off The Beaten Track By Nature" Suwalki by tpal

Suwalki Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 180 photos

My visit to Suwalki was in 1994 and I'm certain much has changed except, of course, for its history. This is a town which has served many masters over the centuries...Russians, Lithuanians, Germans and Poles. When I visited it was a pretty quiet place. It didn't seem like many tourists came there unless they were on their way to Lake Wigry and the National Park about 11km southeast of Suwalki. At the time the Polish currency had not been revalued and I recalled paying 1,000,000 zloty ($40.00 US) for my hotel room...a real high roller!

Still, this was a pretty good place to get a feel for what Poland away from the urban centers was really like. The past was strongly embedded in the psyche of these peoples. The horrors of the holocaust had not escaped them. Further, as of 1994, the promise of the democracy movement was advancing more slowly to this more remote area. It seemed they would struggle proudly a while longer. Certainly by now they have joined the celebration. I wish the people of Suwalki well.

• Last visit to Suwalki: Jul 1994
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2005

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2010 at 11:27 AM

You did a very nice job of presenting this area and the pictures compliment the commentary..

• Oct 11, 2009 at 10:47 AM

So very interesting! My grandfather, from Bialystok, used to tell me about the storks around his family's farm. Now I can finally see a nest for myself. Thank you for updating the story of the tripod nests.

• NilsTheFreelancer's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM

All other East European countries have a huge stork populations as well, even my small country Latvia. We still have many animal species (wolves, bears, lynxes etc.) which are completely or almost complitely exterminated in the Western Europe.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 4:58 AM

I like your view on Suwalki, lovely tips ;-)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2006 at 1:45 PM

A small place but moved me to tears & then happily your stork story!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2005 at 2:10 PM

Are those the same sort of Old Believers as in Russia? I've been reading up on Old Believers lately because they play an important role in Modest Mussorgski's opera "Chowantschina", which will be revived at the Frankfurt Opera in a couple weeks.

• sihi's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2005 at 2:40 AM

Beautiful page! I have gone through Suwalki by bus:)

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2005 at 3:02 PM

Must be a fascinating and yet very sad place to visit Tom, well described.

• Toja's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2005 at 1:45 PM

cool! :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))) thanks for making my name immortal ;-)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2005 at 5:05 AM

Poignant moments I have shared with you. The prisoner in stripes probably represents the priest who is now a saint...gave his life to save a man w/ a family. Also enjoyed your comment about being made for a full moon.

tpal

“If you don't see it all you have a reason to return!”

Badges & Stats in Suwalki

Have you been to Suwalki?