"Edinburgh - More Than A Castle" Edinburgh by tpal
Edinburgh Travel Guide: 3,447 reviews and 6,930 photos
It would be difficult to describe Edinburgh without focusing on Edinburgh Castle. It is unquestionably the omnipresent feature of the city. Its position and size perched atop a long extinct volcano make it difficult to ignore. The photograph here is a view of the castle from Princess Street across the Princess Street Gardens which are actually in a former loch. The statue in the foreground is of Allen Ramsay an 18th century author and poet who is said to have been a great influence on both Robert Burns and Sir Walter Scott.
My memories of Edinburgh, however, are a bit more complex and frankly much more intertwined with my recollections of my first European trip. The Scottish leg began with a relaxing and scenic four hour train trip from London. After that things got more interesting. First the Scots really do speak a different language...beautiful but different. Then, of course, there was the driving (being American, I am convinced my driving is perfect). Also, what exactly are "queues" and "bangers".
In any event, as I try these many years later to reconstruct my Scottish adventure I found that I didn't really have pictures of my fondest memories. What I have is a resolve to return to this wonderful city and discover it once again. Hopefully my inevitable maturity won't dull the wonder.
This photograph needs a little explanation. It was taken from the window of my room at Dalhousie Castle. I have to... more travel advice
I can't tell you much about his place (maybe someone will recognize it and let me know) but I absolutely love it. The... more travel advice
tpal's Related Pages
Edinburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Edinburgh Travel - A Special City - A Special View"
- "Scotland's Capital City"
- "Embra - Scotlands Capital City"
- "A guide to Edinburgh dining & nightlife"
- "Edinburgh - the capital of Scotland"
- "Opera and Graduation in Edinburgh"
- "The highs and lows of the 7 hills..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edinburgh
- Hotels in Edinburgh
- Transportation in Edinburgh
- Nightlife in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Shopping in Edinburgh
- Warnings and Dangers in Edinburgh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Edinburgh
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Edinburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edinburgh
Photos in EdinburghSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Dubrovnik Intro, 16 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como Intro, 31 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos
- Montreal Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buffalo Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Toronto Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos
- Milan Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Seattle Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos