"Edinburgh - More Than A Castle" Edinburgh by tpal

Edinburgh Travel Guide: 3,449 reviews and 6,943 photos

...but what a castle

It would be difficult to describe Edinburgh without focusing on Edinburgh Castle. It is unquestionably the omnipresent feature of the city. Its position and size perched atop a long extinct volcano make it difficult to ignore. The photograph here is a view of the castle from Princess Street across the Princess Street Gardens which are actually in a former loch. The statue in the foreground is of Allen Ramsay an 18th century author and poet who is said to have been a great influence on both Robert Burns and Sir Walter Scott.

My memories of Edinburgh, however, are a bit more complex and frankly much more intertwined with my recollections of my first European trip. The Scottish leg began with a relaxing and scenic four hour train trip from London. After that things got more interesting. First the Scots really do speak a different language...beautiful but different. Then, of course, there was the driving (being American, I am convinced my driving is perfect). Also, what exactly are "queues" and "bangers".

In any event, as I try these many years later to reconstruct my Scottish adventure I found that I didn't really have pictures of my fondest memories. What I have is a resolve to return to this wonderful city and discover it once again. Hopefully my inevitable maturity won't dull the wonder.

• Intro Updated Apr 2, 2005

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2005 at 8:42 AM

Very interesting page with fond memories of our honeymoon visit to Edinburgh. A stay at the Dalhousie Castle would be exciting - wedding or not.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2005 at 7:03 AM

Lovely page! Thanks for taking me back to this great city. I loved the closes as well, but only saw Calton Hill from afar.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2005 at 10:35 AM

Fabulous little page about the Scottish capital. The days can be long at that time of the year that far in the North. :o)

• Scotsgal's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 6:59 AM

That's a great picture!

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 12:24 AM

Great Job, I love your writng style Tom. Scotlands history and architecture looks amazing ! Thank you for your comments and ranks on my Laguna page.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2005 at 9:59 AM

Nice work Tom - your descriptions on Auld Reekie are spot on - yes near the North Pole - long not always sunny Scottish summer nights. Haste ye back!!

• jag17's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2005 at 8:22 AM

Greetings Tom. Thanks for dropping by my Florence page. I am heading for Edinburgh in September, and have enjoyed reading about your thoughts and experiences. Jo Ann

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2005 at 10:28 AM

Interesting page about Edinburgh - small, but written with great style. I love your "American" observations about (creators of) history, as well as the description about the Scottish guards. Well done!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2005 at 12:24 AM

Dalhousie Castle Hotel - I never heared of it, but it looks exactely like my kind of hotel... instead I spent the night in my lousy motorhome in a sidestreet of E'burg. I am sure they also serve the better coffee...

• m-joy's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2005 at 11:42 PM

Great page about a great city! Hope I come back one day to Edinb. - I was lucky as well that the Scottish guards still existed when I stayed there!

tpal

“If you don't see it all you have a reason to return!”

Badges & Stats in Edinburgh

Have you been to Edinburgh?

Latest Activity in Edinburgh