"Campobello di Licata" Campobello di Licata by tpal

Campobello di Licata Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos

Home of My Grandparents

"The Campobellesi emigrated all over the world. Remarkable they are still the colonies of the Campobellesi to Buffalo (Be of New York) Saint Etienne (France) Desio (Lombardy)."

Not many of the big tourist buses will find there way to Campobello di Licata. It's not a tiny town, about 11,500 inhabitants, but for most people there won't be a compelling reason to go there. For me, however, it was the prime purpose for going to Sicily.

Amazingly the rather awkward "Google-translation" above from the official Campobello di Licata homepage seems to sum it up. For whatever reason at the turn of the Twentieth Century a large number of "Campobellesi" including both my grandfathers (and eventually grandmothers) emigrated to my present home, Buffalo, New York, USA. Growing up I was aware that the families of some of the other kids in the neighborhood came from the same town but I didn't think much about it at the time.

As is probably natural, with age came more curiosity about my heritage. Sadly the stories of the "old country" as it was called were never really cherished in our household but rather characterized as memories of a place and time best forgotten. My parents never had any desire to return. I always knew I would go.

• Last visit to Campobello di Licata: Jul 1994
  • Intro Updated Feb 21, 2005

• Apr 8, 2012 at 5:09 AM

I am also from Buffalo, NY. My grandfather came here in 1913 from Campobello Di Licata. I have just started doing research on my family history and where we come from. Any information you care to share would be great!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2009 at 2:33 PM

So interesting. We too have been on a similar journey to the birthplace of my husband's grandparents in Croatia - your story is a parallel, though our priest was not so immediately welcoming but he did produce the register. leyle

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2007 at 8:48 AM

Having recently done a little geneological research I found this page both interesting and inspiring.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2007 at 8:08 AM

very interesting page about your heritage.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2006 at 10:14 AM

Eminently readable, encore.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2005 at 2:44 PM

What this page reminds me of is that I have never been to the town where my father was born and grew up (in what is now the Czech Republic) -- even though I have been to a nearby town where one of his sisters ended up living.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2005 at 8:14 PM

This is just wonderful stuff, Tom and Carol. Felt as though I was there. So happy that the task was an easy one. It certainly is no chore to read your terrific pages.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2005 at 8:11 PM

Great page ! Finding one's roots, whatever far or close is always a great experience ! Thanks for sharing !

• novsco61's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2005 at 4:32 AM

Interesting story about finding your roots!And I'm the first to leave a comment on your page.:))

tpal

“If you don't see it all you have a reason to return!”

Badges & Stats in Campobello di Licata

Have you been to Campobello di Licata?

Latest Activity in Campobello di Licata