"Lago di Como" Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como by tpal
Lago di Como Travel Guide: 208 reviews and 594 photos
The print above belongs to my wife, Carol. It's by Maxfield Parrish. It's not an original by any means. It's not even poster size like most Parrish reproductions. It is, however, pretty old. The little 5" x 7 1/2" print belonged to Carol's Grandma Bessie. She loves it because it is a beautiful image but mostly Carol loves art that has a personal connection to someone in her life. Carol never thought much about the content of the image nor did she recall that the label on the back read Villa Pliniana Lake Como by Maxfield Parrish.
In the late winter of 2001, Carol and I decided we should share our lives together. When she moved in, she arrived with a large collection of art works which she had accumulated over many years from friends, relatives, acquaintances and the occasional stranger. Among all these was the little print which caught my eye. Noticing that it was by Maxfield Parrish and set on Lake Como my initial thought was that it was probably a stylized fantasy image not unlike most of his work. Still it was intriguing. We hung it in various places around the house and ultimately it became part of the background fabric of our lives ... there but rarely really noticed.
It is difficult to judge how much the little things in your life influence your decisions. Carol and I knew immediately we would be traveling often. Going to Europe was high on our priorities. I was interested in a leisurely trip to Northern Italy and Carol loved the idea. Carol's new job, our garden and several remodeling projects however put a pretty good dent in our time and our budget until this year. But now, finally, it was time to see if Lake Como could live up to Maxfield Parrish's "stylized fantasy".
Lake Como is not a huge lake. It's sort of a 35 mile long upside down "Y". But it does have a lot of shoreline and a lot of little towns. In trying to decide how to structure this travel page it occurred to me that Lake Como seemed more defining as a whole than it did as individual towns, most of which we had never heard of before we arrived. As a result, I've listed this under the Virtual Tourist heading of Lago di Como. I will try as much as possible to group my tips by specific towns and make links where possible. I'm still kind of new at this, so several revisions may be necessary. Please be patient and continue to check back while this is under construction.
Before Bellagio was a Las Vegas namesake and a tourist mecca, it was a beautiful Lake Como village. It has, however,... more travel advice
Our visit to Isola Comacina was perhaps the most relaxing portion of our trip. Probably because there is so little to do... more travel advice
tpal's Related Pages
Lago di Como Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lago di Como"
- "Lago di Como"
- "LAKE COMO - 30 miles of magic"
- "Lake, mountains, wonderful food"
- "Our first visit to Lago di Como"
- "JUST A PARADISE"
- "Lake Como"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago di Como
- Hotels in Lago di Como
- Transportation in Lago di Como
- Restaurants in Lago di Como
- Shopping in Lago di Como
- Warnings and Dangers in Lago di Como
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lago di Como
- 31 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 59 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Lago di Como?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago di Como
- updated a Lago di Como Travel Page "Lago di Como"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Difficulties Updating and..."
- Commented on one of hojasdehierba's Lago di Como travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tremezzo: Nice Wedding Present"
- Wrote a Review Bellagio - Pedestrian Boulevard about Lakeside Towns in Lago di Como Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Dubrovnik Intro, 16 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como Intro, 31 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos
- Montreal Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buffalo Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Toronto Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos
- Milan Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Seattle Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos