"Lago di Como" Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como by tpal

Lago di Como Travel Guide: 208 reviews and 593 photos

Real Life Fantasy

The print above belongs to my wife, Carol. It's by Maxfield Parrish. It's not an original by any means. It's not even poster size like most Parrish reproductions. It is, however, pretty old. The little 5" x 7 1/2" print belonged to Carol's Grandma Bessie. She loves it because it is a beautiful image but mostly Carol loves art that has a personal connection to someone in her life. Carol never thought much about the content of the image nor did she recall that the label on the back read Villa Pliniana Lake Como by Maxfield Parrish.

In the late winter of 2001, Carol and I decided we should share our lives together. When she moved in, she arrived with a large collection of art works which she had accumulated over many years from friends, relatives, acquaintances and the occasional stranger. Among all these was the little print which caught my eye. Noticing that it was by Maxfield Parrish and set on Lake Como my initial thought was that it was probably a stylized fantasy image not unlike most of his work. Still it was intriguing. We hung it in various places around the house and ultimately it became part of the background fabric of our lives ... there but rarely really noticed.

It is difficult to judge how much the little things in your life influence your decisions. Carol and I knew immediately we would be traveling often. Going to Europe was high on our priorities. I was interested in a leisurely trip to Northern Italy and Carol loved the idea. Carol's new job, our garden and several remodeling projects however put a pretty good dent in our time and our budget until this year. But now, finally, it was time to see if Lake Como could live up to Maxfield Parrish's "stylized fantasy".

Lake Como - A Postcard From Every View

Lake Como is not a huge lake. It's sort of a 35 mile long upside down "Y". But it does have a lot of shoreline and a lot of little towns. In trying to decide how to structure this travel page it occurred to me that Lake Como seemed more defining as a whole than it did as individual towns, most of which we had never heard of before we arrived. As a result, I've listed this under the Virtual Tourist heading of Lago di Como. I will try as much as possible to group my tips by specific towns and make links where possible. I'm still kind of new at this, so several revisions may be necessary. Please be patient and continue to check back while this is under construction.

If you are particularly curious about a specific locality click on one of the links below.

Bellagio
Menaggio
Rezzonico
Tremezzo
Varenna

I apologize for any duplication you may find at these links from my Lago di Como pages. This, however, seemed like the most direct way to allow Virtual Tourists the flexibility to research their specific interests.

• Last visit to Lago di Como: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 12, 2005

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM

After reading your tips and enjoying your photos, this is a place I would love to visit. Those gardens! wow!
    I have finished my tour, and it was a very pleasurable virtual one! Thanks for taking me to all these wonderfully, beautiful gems in Italy!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Just a great tour here - wonderful photos/details - ahhh, that designer's eye! Grazie, mille grazie, Carol

• Paolomusc's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2011 at 8:05 AM

So glad you like the lake. It is where my family originated so I am very proud of it

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Great insight and personalization. Thanks! I have only been to Como two times and fully enjoyed it

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 7:38 AM

You write so vividly, I could almost feel being there and the best thing is that next month we will be there! Great tips and photos.

• barbskie's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 1:47 AM

Great tip here! Beautiful domo. thanks for sharing. salut!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2006 at 11:03 AM

Your love of gardening shines through on this lovely page = the villas & lake look beautiful

• Oct 13, 2006 at 6:43 AM

Just came back from a vacation at Lago di Como. The first place we stopped for lunch was at this restaurant. Excellent food and a wonderful view of Villa Balbianello, which are not to be missed. Btw, I have a time-share apartment in Rumo di Consiglio.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2006 at 4:51 PM

I think this place is on my list, somewhere - great pictures and narrative. I'll be looking forward to seeing your pages about France! Marcia

• hojasdehierba's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 8:25 AM

It must have been a delightful stay... Thanks for sharing it so well :). Cheers.

tpal

“If you don't see it all you have a reason to return!”

Badges & Stats in Lago di Como

Have you been to Lago di Como?

Latest Activity in Lago di Como