"Gravedona - Northern Jewel" Gravedona by tpal

Gravedona Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 20 photos

Charming Since Roman Times

Gravedona is almost at the northern end of Lake Como. If you have a car the drive up is really beautiful and worth the time. Otherwise I would recommend taking the ferry and walking around. We had been driving for most of the day and had seen a lot of churches and wonderful small towns. Gravedona was larger than most and it seemed worth a little more time.

Carol is an artist and is always keenly aware of light and shadow. It was mid afternoon when we arrived in Gravedona and everything seemed in crisp contrast from the autumn sun. We parked on a shady side lane where gardeners were pruning the trees of a large villa. There was the unmistakable scent of gardenias in the air that seemed to be coming from a tree with tiny white flowers.

We worked our way up the cobbled walkways and found vividly painted buildings of yellow, terra-cotta and coral interspersed with structures completely of stone. As we walked we saw a sign that read "Panorama". We turned the corner and saw a spectacular view of the the town's lakeside with the water sparkling in the afternoon sun.

Please click below if you are interested in seeing all my Lake Como Tips.

Lago di Como

• Last visit to Gravedona: Sep 2004
  • Intro Written Nov 11, 2004

• Paolomusc's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2010 at 2:48 AM

So glad you discovered Gravedona. I originate from Germasino in the mountains above Dongo, but travel back to Gravedona each year to see my family who live there. I love the place.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 6:09 AM

Just goes to show it's always a good idea to follow the "Panorama" sign.

tpal

“If you don't see it all you have a reason to return!”

Badges & Stats in Gravedona

Have you been to Gravedona?

Latest Activity in Gravedona