"Menaggio - Commercial Center of the Upper Lario" Top 5 Page for this destination Menaggio by tpal

Menaggio Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 55 photos

Local Favorite

Menaggio is larger than most of the towns we visited around Lake Como. It was also more crowded than most other places. But, also unlike many other places Menaggio seemed to be much more popular with the local residents. It was Sunday afternoon and the town was jumping. Parking was at a premium and the cafes were buzzing. Apparently, the piazza along the lakeside promenade is a prime gathering spot for motorcycle enthusiasts. No Harleys here. Very sleek Italian and Japanese speedsters lined the curb. Most notable were lots of colorful leather outfits and lots of flirting. In a sort of odd juxtaposition was the public bingo game set up in the square.

We, of course, decided to explore. It was our first full day on Lake Como and our first exposure to what would become routine but never boring... climbing the cobblestone walkways. As soon as we left the main streets we were nearly alone to wander and discover hidden courtyards, secluded gardens and private lanes. Eventually, we returned to the lakeside promenade, joined the locals and enjoyed a beautifully landscaped walk with signature views across the lake to Bellagio and beyond.

Please click below if you are interested in seeing all my Lake Como Tips.

Lago di Como

• Last visit to Menaggio: Sep 2004
  • Intro Written Nov 11, 2004

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2012 at 2:23 PM

It certainly is a lovely car, one to be admired!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Amazing story. Imagine, a Morgan in Italy - almost sacrilege! Thanks for sharing.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2006 at 9:42 AM

It was in 1972, I believe, when the draft was finally abolished in the U.S. But that was too late for me, and I see for you too. I was cycling around Spain & Portugal that winter, and the letter was waiting for me at Cook's when I got back to Barcelona.

• Aurorae's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2005 at 2:39 AM

I only passed through Menaggio, but there is time for more visits! I see that your youth love occupied your heart and VT space as well, that the only picture you put here is of her! ;-)

tpal

“If you don't see it all you have a reason to return!”

Badges & Stats in Menaggio

Have you been to Menaggio?