"Tremezzo - Home of Villa Carlotta" Tremezzo by tpal

Tremezzo Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 180 photos

Saw the Villa - Loved the Gardens

Tremezzo was yet another town we had never heard of before arriving at Lake Como. It was the first place we had dinner in Italy. Not so much because we had sought out a well known ristorante but more for the fact that we were really tired and this little town had lots of parking! It eventually became our "go-to" place when we needed a quick place to eat without much fuss.

Located in Tremezzo is the centerpiece of this end of the lake. It would be difficult to read about Lake Como in any travel guide and not hear about Villa Carlotta. It is a grand structure built on a hill with magnificent views of Bellagio across the lake. The gardens are vast, covering about 14 acres with a wonderful variety of foliage set in several garden themes. Carol and I are avid gardeners so we spent a considerable amount of time wandering about. We were particularly stuck with varieties of annual plantings used as they seemed identical to those we routinely find in New York State. Familiar but still interesting in their massing and combinations.

The villa itself I personally found a little less inspiring. The exterior seemed oddly plain up close. I say "plain" rather than "simple" which I usually enjoy. It's almost as though it was designed to impress from afar. The interior certainly was fancy enough but it didn't seem to warrant the "No Photos" restrictions imposed. All in all, worth an inclusion as a Must See tip albeit not my first choice.

Please click below if you are interested in seeing all my Lake Como Tips.

Lago di Como

• Last visit to Tremezzo: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 20, 2004

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM

After reading your page, I want to come and see for myself!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2005 at 12:53 PM

Another great looking place. Do you know any explanation about how the name "Tremezzo" came to be?

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2004 at 7:27 AM

next time,you have to stay in "villa d'este"...nevertheless,villa carlotta worth while!

• Aurorae's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2004 at 10:15 AM

Villa Carlotta is a definite must see! So beautiful!!!!

tpal

“If you don't see it all you have a reason to return!”

Badges & Stats in Tremezzo

Have you been to Tremezzo?

Latest Activity in Tremezzo