"Varenna - Diamond of the Lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Varenna by tpal

Varenna Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 217 photos

Idyllic Lake Como

It was our third day on Lake Como but it was our first ferry boat ride. Varenna is on the opposite side of the lake from where we were staying in Ossuccio. Taking the ferry was the simplest and most direct way to get there. More importantly, it was definitely the "best way" for us to arrive there for a first view. The ride from Lenno made several stops along the way including Villa Carlotta and Bellagio. Every stop was beautifully unique but Varenna...this was special.
Here the colorful homes were built right to water's edge. There was a steep rock face where nothing could be built and seemed to divide the village. Cleverly a promenade had been built cantilevered over the water. The walkway leads past shops and a few cafes with "you-never-have-to-leave-your-chair" photo opps. Boats were most often merely pulled up on shore and tied off.
Varenna is home to two very elaborate villas and gardens - Villa Cipressi and Villa Monastero. Both are definitely worth a visit. But in my mind, the real allure was exploring the walks and back lanes of the tiny town. I read somewhere that, "If Bellagio is the pearl of Lake Como then Varenna is the diamond". This seemed surely true.

Please click below if you are interested in seeing all my Lake Como Tips.

Lago di Como

• Last visit to Varenna: Sep 2004
  • Intro Written Nov 11, 2004

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Great description ov Vaarenna! By the way, the CNR is an important institution for all scientific research in Italy.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 7:25 AM

Lovely little page on Varenna. My friend and I will be in Lago di Como next month and I feel attracted to Varenna, and even more after reading your tips.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2006 at 1:39 PM

Looks like a fantastic place for a boat ride. Does Villa Cipressi mean what it looks like?

• mariev's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2005 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for the beautiful photos of a place that is special for me : my gand-grand father came from Varenna (before going to Strasbourg as an expert in architecture)

tpal

“If you don't see it all you have a reason to return!”

Badges & Stats in Varenna

Have you been to Varenna?

Latest Activity in Varenna