Venice Things to Do Tips by tpal
Venice Things to Do: 3,011 reviews and 5,664 photos
View from the roof of St. Mark's Basilica
Early October in Venice...what a difference! My previous visits to Venice had been in mid-summer at the absolute height of the tourist season...aside from Carnivale. This was the first time I had actually seen Piazza San Marco with fewer people than pigeons. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration but still, I can't say I ever noticed the pattern in the pavers before.
The photograph here is taken from the roof of St. Mark's Basilica. This, to me, was the best part the tour of the Basilica. Now, I'm sure I'll get some argument from this, but the interior was just not that inspiring to me. Certainly, the mosaics are spectacular as were many of the other features but as a whole I was slightly disappointed. Maybe I was put off by the fact that, while entry is free, collection points are set up along the way to view special features such as the Golden Altar Screen. The image of the "money changers" in the temple springs to mind.
In any event, you must go and you must include the climb to the upper level. Pay attention as you enter as the stairs up are on your right just beyond the entrance. If you bypass them initially (as we did) you will have to sort of "jump" the velvet rope lines to get back or worse yet go outside and wait in line again. Once up top you will have excellent aerial views of the interior as well as access to the roof. The exterior views out to Piazza San Marco and toward the Grand Canal are well worth the climb.
Address: Piazza San Marco
The Rialto Bridge from the Grand Canal
Somehow I doubt this is a revelation but, "If you go to Venice you Must See the Rialto Bridge"! Built in the 16th century, this was the first bridge to be constructed across the Grand Canal. The arched portico which houses several boutiques was a later addition but definitely adds to its unique appearance.
The most complete view is surely from the water but to truly experience this piece of Venice you must walk the bridge. In the daytime it will always be crowded. More so during high season but still always busy. At night, you can enjoy a little more privacy and I think the best atmosphere.
I took this photograph from the stern of a vaporetto and I would like to thank the unnamed gondolier for having perfect timing.
Address: The Grand Canal
Directions: If you can't find it you are in Venice, California!
More Reviews (18)
- See All Venetian Kitty
- See All Classic Venice
- See All Working Class Canal
- See All Night Time Magic in Piazza San Marco
tpal's Related Pages
Venice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
- "Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
- "Venice – the City of Art"
- "Vacations in Venice"
- "MERAVIGLIOSA VENEZIA"
- "Giacomo CASANOVA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venice
- Hotels in Venice
- Transportation in Venice
- Nightlife in Venice
- Restaurants in Venice
- Shopping in Venice
- Warnings and Dangers in Venice
- See All...
Explore the World
- Subate Hotels
- Castelo Branco
- Province of Camarines Sur
- La Bérarde Hotels
- Leshan Hotels
- Söderköping Hotels
Badges & Stats in Venice
- 20 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 46 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venice
- Commented on one of Zvrlj's Venice travel pages
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Difficulties Updating and..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Piazza San Marco From Basilica San Marco"
- Wrote a Review Venetian Kitty in Venice Local Customs
- updated a Venice Travel Page ". . . because Venice is always Venice!"
Top 10 Pages
- Dubrovnik Intro, 16 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como Intro, 31 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos
- Montreal Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buffalo Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Toronto Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos
- Milan Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Seattle Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (28)
Latest Venice hotel reviews
- Hotel Biasin
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Campeggio Jolly delle Querce
- 216 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Locanda Acquavita
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 27, 2013
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Guest House Hotel Al Portico
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Dimora Serenissima
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Santa Chiara Hotel
- 302 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Le Boulevard Hotel Venice
- 198 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Residenza San Maurizio Venice
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Ca' Bonvicini
- 258 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Best Western Montecarlo
- 383 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Palazzetto Pisani
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Churches- 362 Reviews, 782 Photos
- Basilica di San Marco- 219 Reviews, 389 Photos
- Doge's Palace- 204 Reviews, 398 Photos
- Piazza San Marco- 303 Reviews, 494 Photos
- Campanile di San Marco- 150 Reviews, 274 Photos
- Canal Grande- 213 Reviews, 351 Photos
- Rialto Bridge- 169 Reviews, 286 Photos
- Ponte dei Sospiri- 130 Reviews, 186 Photos
- Gondola- 163 Reviews, 271 Photos
- Campi, Calli and Canali- 126 Reviews, 201 Photos
See All Venice Things to Do