"Newark" Newark upon Trent by stefano99
Newark upon Trent Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 116 photos
This photo shows the Saturday market.
Market days are:
Monday (except bank hols) - Antique, Craft and General Retail Market
Wednesday - General Retail Market
Thursday -Antique and Craft Market
Friday - General Retail Market
Saturday - General Retail Market
Sunday - Antique and Craft Market
It's been a bakery for more than 100 years, and you can sometimes see the owner emerging from the kitchen with plates of fruit, cheese or cherry scones still warm from the oven. It's a traditional sort of place: flowers on the tables, embroidered linen, friendly welcome.
Newark's castle is in the usual state for an English castle, although viewed from the west bank of the River Trent Newark Castle looks very impressive, but if you cross the river and enter the park that surrounds the castle you discover that the walls are just a facade. Only one and a half sides of the castle remain, but that does include the oldest part of the castle, a large gatehouse.
The castle was built in 1133 by Alexander, Bishop of Lincoln, and it remained a seat of the Bishops of Lincoln until 1547 when King Henry VIII took it for the Crown. During the Civil War the castle became an important Royalist garrison, holding out against three long sieges in 1643, 1644 and 1646. On 5 May 1646 King Charles I was captured at nearby Southwell and ordered Newark to surrender. The Parliamentarians then destroyed the castle.
stefano99's Related Pages
Newark upon Trent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "About time too!"
- "Antiques Trackshow"
- "A PRETTY TOWN WITH A CASTLE ~"
- "Newark- on- Trent"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newark upon Trent
- Transportation in Newark upon Trent
- Restaurants in Newark upon Trent
- Shopping in Newark upon Trent
- Warnings and Dangers in Newark upon Trent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newark upon Trent
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Newark upon Trent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newark upon Trent
Top 10 Pages
- Urbania Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 14 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 5 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 4 travelogues
- Southern Thailand Intro, 3 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 3 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 2 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Urbino Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues