"A Short Visit to Shop-till-you-drop City" Singapore by Rinjani

Singapore Travel Guide: 4,572 reviews and 10,406 photos

Welcome to Singapore!!

In my impression, Singapore is an Asian merchant city. Allow me to call Singapore as melting pot of people from Asian countries. I met many Indonesian (nearest neighbour country), Filipino, Malaysian, Thailand, Vietnamese, Chinese, Nepalese, Indien, etc. Many of them came for same purpose: Shopping or trading.

Singapore tries to present contrast between modern and traditional way of living.

High rise buildings, dress up business people walking in pedestrian route, grabbing sandwiches or coffee, but also I was quite impressed to see chinese temples and buddhist temples, where people bowed when they passed by the building or even stopped by. I sense the fast pace of a common big city. But, I do enjoy scene to see people sitting in a park bench, enjoying their drink, and also old people enjoy the morning sunshine in front of their shops.

I found the interesting part is the market. This place allows me to learn about the life of the city. The food stalls and many faces of sellers make me indulge of my own trivial game, where are they from? I found the answer immediately, many of the traders come to Singapore to make a living.

Common scene in Singapore, a street full of pedestrians and people walk on the street carry big plastic bags. Some conversations that I overheard were about shopping, shopping and shopping. Is it right to call the city A-Shop-Till-You-Drop city??

My visit is too short to define life of the city. But, two things that I love from my short visit to Singapore; shops and pedestrian route.

• In a nutshell:It's Still About Shopping :)
  • Last visit to Singapore: Jun 2006
  • Intro Written Jun 17, 2006

• Dec 8, 2009 at 5:11 AM

With their prominent Orchard Road location, you'd think that it was a legitimate operation. Instead, you will likely fall victim to the classic 'bait and switch' selling technique, paying 2x what you should and/or buying a second hand camera.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Good informative page on Singapore. But why things to do is missing? Please take time out and fill the page.

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2008 at 6:15 AM

looks like Singapore is the place to go shopping

• Azri_Azmi's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2007 at 6:55 PM

You have a good mini page of Singapore. Been here once and will re-visit. Bugis street is just a name or it is a street where Bugis community lives? Take care.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2007 at 11:30 PM

Sensible tips for this shopaholic city!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2007 at 3:41 AM

Great introduction to shopping in Singapore. Shop till drop or till broke :)

Rinjani

“Learning is understanding something you've understood all your life, but in a new way-Doris Lessing”

Badges & Stats in Singapore

Have you been to Singapore?

Latest Activity in Singapore