"A Short Visit to Shop-till-you-drop City" Singapore by Rinjani
Singapore Travel Guide: 4,687 reviews and 10,711 photos
In my impression, Singapore is an Asian merchant city. Allow me to call Singapore as melting pot of people from Asian countries. I met many Indonesian (nearest neighbour country), Filipino, Malaysian, Thailand, Vietnamese, Chinese, Nepalese, Indien, etc. Many of them came for same purpose: Shopping or trading.
Singapore tries to present contrast between modern and traditional way of living.
High rise buildings, dress up business people walking in pedestrian route, grabbing sandwiches or coffee, but also I was quite impressed to see chinese temples and buddhist temples, where people bowed when they passed by the building or even stopped by. I sense the fast pace of a common big city. But, I do enjoy scene to see people sitting in a park bench, enjoying their drink, and also old people enjoy the morning sunshine in front of their shops.
I found the interesting part is the market. This place allows me to learn about the life of the city. The food stalls and many faces of sellers make me indulge of my own trivial game, where are they from? I found the answer immediately, many of the traders come to Singapore to make a living.
Common scene in Singapore, a street full of pedestrians and people walk on the street carry big plastic bags. Some conversations that I overheard were about shopping, shopping and shopping. Is it right to call the city A-Shop-Till-You-Drop city??
My visit is too short to define life of the city. But, two things that I love from my short visit to Singapore; shops and pedestrian route.
- In a nutshell:It's Still About Shopping :)
Yes, “sale” sign always attract your attention and work out your credit card. Later, I found that things are not always... more travel advice
Our fave place. Why??, many nice stuffs, street food and cheaper price. I was quite surprised to find Sex Shop casually... more travel advice
Rinjani's Related Pages
Singapore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Uniquely Singapore"
- "Singapore Downtown"
- "(the real) Happiest Place on Earth"
- "ONE ISLAND WITH 63 SURROUNDING ISLETS"
- "Home away from Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Singapore
- Hotels in Singapore
- Transportation in Singapore
- Nightlife in Singapore
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Shopping in Singapore
- Warnings and Dangers in Singapore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Singapore
- 12 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Singapore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Singapore
Photos in SingaporeSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 127 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 86 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region Intro, 77 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 67 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Flores Intro, 41 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banda Aceh Intro, 49 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Banjarmasin Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 16 reviews, 24 photos