"Bandung: Both Sides Now" Bandung by Rinjani
Bandung Travel Guide: 240 reviews and 556 photos
Finally, pushing my laziness to start building page and share information about Bandung.
Why Bandung is very popular? Ask many Indonesian you come across during your travel to Java (particularly). The answers will be rank as follow:
1. Abundance of shopping and hang-out places 2. Beautiful girls 3. Closer from Jakarta (2.5 - 3 hour from Jakarta through Ciphering toll road) 4. Cooler temperature 5. Creative atmosphere (with number of universities such as Bandung Institute of Technology--ITB, Paddling, Parahyangan and many others, Bandung became "student city" that attracts high-school graduates throughout Indonesia to study here. It gives "creative flavor" as given by youth energy to always find something new)
Classification above (I think) represents why Bandung is one of most popular destinations for many Indonesian.
With many distro or so-to-called Factory Outlet spread out across Bandung with relatively affordable prices and people are relatively well-dress and stylish, one more name is "awarded" to Bandung, Paris Van Java.
Visiting Bandung for the first timer, you couldn't help to notice many art deco buildings and names that sound Dutch.
Bandung city development was started in the late 19th century by the Dutch colonialism. Because of its mild temperature, the colonial even planned to make Bandung as its capitol before world war 2 started.
The Dutch also build big tea plantations around Bandung and bit by bit also contributed to the basic infrastructure of the city, such as main road, cultural places, restaurants, etc.
For you who are interested about Bandung, you can find many literatures, although unfortunately, good literatures are either in Bahasa Indonesia or Dutch.
I found the pocket book written by two young history enthusiasts "Braga Jantung Parijs Van Java by Ridwan Hutagalung and Taufanny Nugraha is interesting, well written, informative and light.
The book with title of "Wisata Bumi Cekungan Bandung" (Bandung basin geo-tourism guide book) written by two distinguished Bandung academics T.Bachtiar and Budi Brahmantyo is also rich with "do-it-yourself" geo- adventure track around Bandung, but the again, unfortunately both books are written in Bahasa.
These days, Bandung becomes more interesting by communities clubs who explore history or natural side of Bandung through their activities. Check Mahanagari website that provides link to several community clubs website.
As I came across different literatures, Bandung was once developed for only 500,000 population. The latest number I have is 2.5 million in later years.
As you can expect, the side-effect of increased populations has choked the city.
Heavy traffic in Bandung becomes classic, particularly during weekend. Settlements now crawling to the southern part of Bandung, changes the rice paddy fields to the houses, slums area and water overflow to the street during rain are few of the downside of Bandung.
I still can't help to love my favorite parts of Bandung and I wish you do too. Let me share my few list:
Asia Africa street
Ir.H.Djuanda City Forest
If you plan to explore outside Bandung, here is another list:
Tangkuban Perahu volcano
Ciwidey (Kawah Putih)
Have a pleasant trip to explore Bandung. Stay on the positive light :)
Rinjani's Related Pages
Bandung Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BANDUNG - THE HEART OF TATAR SUNDA"
- "Kota Bandung, the great new City in West Java"
- "Finally...the Bandung trip!"
- "Parijs van Java"
- "Bandung - The Flower City"
- "Paris of Java " Shop Shop Shop :-D ""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bandung
- Hotels in Bandung
- Transportation in Bandung
- Nightlife in Bandung
- Restaurants in Bandung
- Shopping in Bandung
- Warnings and Dangers in Bandung
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bandung
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Bandung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bandung
Photos in BandungSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 127 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 86 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region Intro, 77 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 67 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Flores Intro, 41 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banda Aceh Intro, 49 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Banjarmasin Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 16 reviews, 24 photos