"Banjarmasin, the River Life Charm" Banjarmasin by Rinjani
Banjarmasin Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 151 photos
What makes Banjarmasin charming? One of the guide books says that it’s worth to linger few days in the city before you depart to other places in South Kalimantan.
Walking and exploring around the town, I find the river life is most exciting. The river seems a central point for the people here. Although Banjarmasin is quite modern city with typically bustling city with banks, hotels, restaurants and shops, I will still say the river life is most charming.
People build their houses along the river, mostly from the wood. In some houses, water will reach into kitchen and bathroom. I saw few houses where they seem to have water bed literally, as the water goes into the bed room area. (it seems bed is two-storey built, so that people have their dry sleep).
The water goes in and out the houses area with people solemnly continue their activities in the house is not everyday scene for me, interesting!. In the afternoon, the scenery of people’s activities in the river is interesting, to see the people having afternoon shower, washing their clothes, (apparently loo and other toilet activities are done here too), fishing or going across the river with boat.
You can enjoy the river view in park spots or wooden bridge stretched in front of the Grand Mosque where it seems central point for the youth. Teenagers are skateboarding, playing music or just enjoying the afternoon breeze.
My stay is too short to explore more about Banjarmasin and surrounding, although I hope the information that I included in the tips will be able to help you to plan your travel to Banjarmasin and its surrounding.
Come and visit here, and let me know, if you too are charmed by the river life.
Martapura is another busy city in South Kalimantan. The city is known as “Gem city” due to their famous stone mining.... more travel advice
Rinjani's Related Pages
Banjarmasin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Venetia of kalimantan. (haha)"
- "Life in the water - La vida en el agua"
- ">> city by the rivers "
- "SOUTH BORNEO / KALIMANTAN SELATAN"
- "Banjarmasin, the River Life Charm"
- "QUEEN ESTUARY: BANJARMASIN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banjarmasin
- Hotels in Banjarmasin
- Transportation in Banjarmasin
- Shopping in Banjarmasin
- Warnings and Dangers in Banjarmasin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banjarmasin
- 23 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Banjarmasin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banjarmasin
Photos in BanjarmasinSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 127 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 86 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region Intro, 77 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 67 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Flores Intro, 41 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banda Aceh Intro, 49 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Banjarmasin Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 16 reviews, 24 photos