"Exploring Flores: More Than Just Komodo Dragon" Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Flores by Rinjani
Pulau Flores Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 227 photos
If you asked many Indonesian, what is the most famous in Flores? I found their most three common answers:
1) Komodo dragons
2) Kelimutu, a three-colored-lake
3) Soekarno (indonesia’s first President) exile house in Ende.
While many foreigners’ top answer would be either diving or Komodo, or both.
The existence of Komodo Dragon (Varanus Komodoensis), a pre-historic giant lizard is considered as the most attraction factor that make people come to visit Flores. This was also my original intention to visit Flores. But, the special coverage “Ring of Fire” in national newspaper Kompas in June 2012 featuring Flores with full interesting information, then my original plan changed completely.
Flores Island has more to offer. Come to Flores if you are into exploring the off-beaten-paths and the road less travelled. The natural beauty of mountain, jungle, waterfalls, craters, beaches, underwater world are there to explore. Then you also have list of “hidden” villages with their rich cultural traditional living and buildings are waiting for you.
The pre-historic story of Flores is also interesting and most of them are remain mystery, waiting to un-earthen and to re-tell to the world. The discovery of “Hobbit” in 2003 in Liang Bua cave in Ruteng is one of the relatively recent discoveries that continue to draw scientists to flock to the cave.
If pre-historic tales won excite you, maybe the beautiful beaches and number of secluded beaches and islands in Flores will, suitable for those beach bums and divers.
The name of Flores is originally coming from Portuguesse language, Copa de Flores or Flower Island. In general, East Nusa Tenggara has 566 islands, where some of 134 islands have no name. The eight big islands in East Nusa Tenggara are Flores, Timor, Rote, Sumba, Komodo, Adonara, Solor and Alor. Flores Island consists of 14 districts.
There are 10 local languages spoken in Flores, namely Lamaholot, Bahasa Kedang, Bahasa Nagi, Bahasa Sika, Bahasa Palue, Bahasa Lio, Bahasa Ngada, Bahasa Rembong, Bahasa Manggarai dan Bahasa Komodo (refence: Negara Flores di Mata Saya, Mansyur Kahrudin)
Flores Island is the second island in Indonesia which has most of volcanoes. With its 14,300 km wide, there are 24 active volcanoes in the island. The first is Java island with its 35 active volcanoes with the size of the island is 132.107 km. Comparing size to Java, volcanoes in Flores are considered packed!. The volcanoes are affecting interior land of Flores. It means beautiful mountains and scenery (my touristy view). The road in Flores was built following the topographic of the mountains. As the result, there is rarely straight road in the Trans Flores highway!
The Flores trip is one of my memorable journeys. This is like a small solo expedition packed with curiosity and impulsive decisions.
I should say, if you share similar curiosity and love to explore, traveling with rental car is preferable in Flores. This is quite expensive, but it is more convenient and you have total control of time and places to visit.
My 10 Travel Highlights:
1. Watched and observed Komodo Dragons
2. Visited and spent night in Wae Rebo Village
3. Visited Liang Bua Cave, where skeleton of “Hobbit” was discovered.
4. Visited two archeological sites in Soa
5. Hiked two times to Kelimutu crater
6. Dressed in Bena custom in Bena village in Bajawa
7. Visited Snake cave
8. Swam in beautiful waterfall Cunca Wulang
9. Bird Watching and hiked in Sano Nggoang, another volcano crater
10. Enjoyed natural “spa”, hot spring and waterfall in Soa
Quick Links References
Welcome to Flores
I wish to share information about Flores based on my trip in August-September 2012. You will find references, useful links and websites, simple guides for directions in my travel pages. I hope can help you to plan your travel. At the end, I wish you will have opportunity to enjoy beautiful Flores.
Happy readings and Happy travel!
- Pros:Beautiful scenery and fascinating rich cultures
- Cons:Lacking infrastructure, especially in villages
- In a nutshell:A Hidden Paradise
Many parts of the Flores Island are off the beaten paths. If you are into exploring remote traditional villages, there... more travel advice
One of my favorite areas in Labuan Bajo is the hill in Binongko area. The place is particularly beautiful for watching... more travel advice
Rinjani's Related Pages
Pulau Flores Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flores, another beautiful Indonesia"
- "Exploring Flores: More Than Just Komodo Dragon"
- "FLORES, KOMODO & KELIMUTU NATIoNAL PARKS"
- "Komodo Dragon"
- "Wonderful Flores"
- "Flores Island"
- "FLORES INDONESIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Flores
- Hotels in Pulau Flores
- Transportation in Pulau Flores
- Restaurants in Pulau Flores
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Flores
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Flores
- 41 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Pulau Flores?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Flores
- updated a Pulau Flores Travel Page "Exploring Flores: More Than Just Komodo Dragon"
- Commented on one of ukirsari's Pulau Flores travel pages
- Wrote a Review When Visiting Remote Traditional Villages in Pulau Flores Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "When Visiting Remote Traditional Villages"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: How to Move the Page?"
Photos in Pulau FloresSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 127 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 86 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region Intro, 77 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 67 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Flores Intro, 41 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banda Aceh Intro, 49 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Banjarmasin Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 16 reviews, 24 photos