Montreal Transportation Tips by fairy_dust

Montreal Transportation: 240 reviews and 216 photos

The train Train Review

To get to and from Montreal, the train is one of the easiest ways. Trains go to/from many major Canadian cities in central Canada and the Maritimes. Bonaventure station (or Gare Centrale) is the train station, and it also has a lot of shops and restaurants to go to in case you have a long wait in between trains/buses. It is also connected to Bonaventure metro station and a shopping mall (Place Ville Marie).

Mode: TO

Type: Train

• Updated Dec 17, 2013
The Metro Metro Review

The subway (people here call it the metro) is one of the easiest ways to get around Montreal. It's not very expensive either. It can get crowded though, depending on the time of day (morning rush-hour is the worst). Berri-UQAM station is always the most crowded at any point in the day since it's the intersection point for 3 lines. The subway lines are shown on maps in different colours (green, orange, blue, and yellow) and overlap at several stations (Snowdon, Jean-Talon, Berri-UQAM, and Lionel-Groulx) so it's easy to switch trains if you need to.

The metro closes at 1:15am on Saturday nights, and a little earlier on other days. So if you're out at night and want to avoid paying a cab, be sure to catch the last train before the lines close for the night.

Also, every station has a different design when it comes to colours, walls, benches, etc. No two are identical.

Mode: AROUND

Type: Subway/Metro

• Updated Dec 11, 2013
Fly to Montreal Airplane Review

Montreal has 2 international airports, so it's easy to fly over. The airport you'll likely end up in is Montreal Trudeau. If you don't have a ride to or from the airport, the taxi will cost you at least $20.

Mode: TO

Type: Airplane

• Updated Aug 22, 2006
Taxis

You can hail a taxi in Montreal, and they'll take you anywhere in town, but be careful because they might try to charge you a more expensive price. Here's my story:

After an awesome night of salsa dancing at Club 6/49, I was ready to head back to my aunt's place to sleep before flying to Europe the next day. After stepping out of the salsa club on St.-Catherine's street, I hailed a taxi and told the driver where I wanted to go. Halfway there, he claimed that there are two streets with the same name, and asked me which one. I didn't know, because I thought there was only one, so he took me to one, and since it wasn't the right one, he had to take me to the other. I ended up paying around $15 for the taxi, but at first I thought that was normal. Then I told my aunt about it, and she told me that he probably used the fact that he had to drive me to both streets as an excuse to charge me more than usual. So the lesson - know which street you're going to, and find out in advance whether or not there are two or more with the same name! (or at least know which other streets or area it's close to).

Mode: AROUND

Type: Other

• Updated Aug 22, 2006

fairy_dust Lives Here!

fairy_dust

“Draco Dormiens Nunquam Tittilandus”

Badges & Stats in Montreal

Have you been to Montreal?

Latest Activity in Montreal