"The Small Town of Wolfville" Wolfville by fairy_dust

Wolfville Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 11 photos

Jazz Camp was Awesome!

I've been to Wolfville twice in my life. In the summer of 1999 and the summer of 2000. I was there for the Acadia Summer Music Institute. It's basically a summer program on the Acadia University campus for young musicians of junior high and high school age (most play in school bands), and every week has a different theme. I went for the jazz week, and I had a blast. Acadia Jazz Camp is an awesome program. All week, we learned about jazz music, practiced our instruments (in my case, voice), played in bands, met friends, and had fun. Our teachers were among the best in the Maritimes, and we learned a lot in only a week.

I sang in the jazz choir, and I loved the songs we got to sing. Especially the Spanish song I got to sing with the Dance Combo at Jazz Camp 2000. In Jazz Camp 2000, the camp director brought a group of music students from a music school in Cuba, who were a band called Los Primos. They were a huge hit, and their visit was a major highlight of Jazz Camp 2000.

Wolfville in the eyes of a jazz camper

Since I was at camp all week, I didn't really get to see much of Wolfville. I was on the campus of Acadia University for the whole week, and I was always busy with rehearsals, practice, performances, camp stuff, and socializing with fellow campers (including the Cuban Alejandro, who took every opportunity to flirt and compliment me...). But I do know a bit about Wolfville.

It's a small university town, and usually quiet (except on the Acadia campus during Jazz Camp!). It looks like a nice town to live in, it's not run down or overly busy, it has a nice relaxed atmosphere. From what I've been told, the Acadian University students make up more than half the population during the winter, and in the summer the town is dead. Quite the opposite of most tourist destinations, where it's dead in winter and only comes alive after the snow melts! The Acadia University campus is nice and small. Most places in town are within walking distance, and the streets and scenery are pretty. It's a place for people who like small towns, or who want a change from the busy scenes of big cities. It's not really a tourist destination, but it's nice to visit.

• Last visit to Wolfville: Jul 2000
  • Intro Updated Feb 25, 2005

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2011 at 11:31 AM

sounds a relaxing place - even if the town sound like a location for a horror movie

fairy_dust

“Draco Dormiens Nunquam Tittilandus”

Badges & Stats in Wolfville

Have you been to Wolfville?

Latest Activity in Wolfville