"Salamanca - one of my favourite Spanish cities" Top 5 Page for this destination Salamanca by fairy_dust
Salamanca Travel Guide: 604 reviews and 1,521 photos
I have been to Spain twice, to take summer courses in Spanish at the University of Salamanca. My first trip to Salamanca was in June 2002 (for 3 weeks), and my second trip was in July 2003 (for a month). I was there with my Spanish professor from my home university (she helped to organize the trip) and other students from my university and a few from other universities involved with the study program.
My first trip to Salamanca in June 2002 was mainly about discovering Spain. Since it was my first time in Salamanca, everything there was new to me, and I uncovered new things as I went along. The joy and excitement of discovering a new place and culture was absolutely amazing, and I loved every minute of it. Everything I experienced, even the simplest things made the whole trip amazing.
Loving Salamanca so much, I just had to go back. So I joined my prof's group again with brand new people, and planned to return in July 2003. But I remember being afraid that I since I had already been to Salamanca, that the excitement of discovering the city would be gone and I would have a "been there done that" type of experience. I was wrong. Soon after arriving in Salamanca, I realized that I still had much to discover, and much more to experience. This time around, since I knew the city better, I felt more independent and free, and I was able to do and enjoy more things than I had before. I ended up with another amazing experience that I will never forget.
I adore Salamanca, it's one of my favorite places. I long to be there again, learning Sevillanas and Flamenco dance on the stage of the Edificio Juan de Enzima, having a glass of sangria at a cafe on a pedestrian street, swooning over the tunas in the Plaza Mayor, and going out partying at the discos. Even now, I'm still suffering from "Spain withdrawal". I definitely want to return someday.
I couldn't go back in 2004 because I needed to keep my summer job (I hate it when the "necessary" things prevent me from doing what I love...). But I'll never forget the 2 times I was there. I loved the Spanish courses I took at the University of Salamanca, how they were more relaxed, and how the program encourages and creates opportunities for students to experience the culture in Spain. I definitely recommend the Spanish language program at the University of Salamanca to anyone who wants to learn or improve their Spanish. It's not only an academic experience, it's a cultural one too.
- Pros:The tuna groups, the nightlife, the study program at the University of Salamanca and everything that has to do with it.
- Cons:You won't want to leave!
- In a nutshell:One of the most beautiful places in Europe!
Don't just walk the same streets every time you go to town. Explore the city and let yourself get lost in it! You might... more travel advice
Even with all the excitement of being in Salamanca, there are times when it's nice to just sit down at a cafe in town,... more travel advice
- See All Summer heat
- See All Breakfast bars
- See All Cycling
- See All Take the train
- See All Big parks near the outskirts
fairy_dust's Related Pages
Salamanca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salamanca - one of my favourite Spanish cities"
- "Cultural capital of Castile and Leon"
- "My favoured cultural city in Spain."
- "Searching for the golden hue . . ."
- "The oldest University still existing in España"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salamanca
- Hotels in Salamanca
- Transportation in Salamanca
- Nightlife in Salamanca
- Restaurants in Salamanca
- Shopping in Salamanca
- Warnings and Dangers in Salamanca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salamanca
- 80 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Salamanca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salamanca
Photos in SalamancaSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Sevilla Intro, 65 reviews, 112 photos
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salamanca Intro, 80 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 48 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlottetown Intro, 64 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 19 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sundsvall Intro, 47 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dominican Republic Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 28 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 21 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue