"Salamanca - one of my favourite Spanish cities" Top 5 Page for this destination Salamanca by fairy_dust

Salamanca Travel Guide: 533 reviews and 1,220 photos

Info on my Spain trips

I have been to Spain twice, to take summer courses in Spanish at the University of Salamanca. My first trip to Salamanca was in June 2002 (for 3 weeks), and my second trip was in July 2003 (for a month). I was there with my Spanish professor from my home university (she helped to organize the trip) and other students from my university and a few from other universities involved with the study program.

Discoveries and Experiences - Both Trips

My first trip to Salamanca in June 2002 was mainly about discovering Spain. Since it was my first time in Salamanca, everything there was new to me, and I uncovered new things as I went along. The joy and excitement of discovering a new place and culture was absolutely amazing, and I loved every minute of it. Everything I experienced, even the simplest things made the whole trip amazing.

Loving Salamanca so much, I just had to go back. So I joined my prof's group again with brand new people, and planned to return in July 2003. But I remember being afraid that I since I had already been to Salamanca, that the excitement of discovering the city would be gone and I would have a "been there done that" type of experience. I was wrong. Soon after arriving in Salamanca, I realized that I still had much to discover, and much more to experience. This time around, since I knew the city better, I felt more independent and free, and I was able to do and enjoy more things than I had before. I ended up with another amazing experience that I will never forget.

I long to be in Salamanca again...

I adore Salamanca, it's one of my favorite places. I long to be there again, learning Sevillanas and Flamenco dance on the stage of the Edificio Juan de Enzima, having a glass of sangria at a cafe on a pedestrian street, swooning over the tunas in the Plaza Mayor, and going out partying at the discos. Even now, I'm still suffering from "Spain withdrawal". I definitely want to return someday.

I couldn't go back in 2004 because I needed to keep my summer job (I hate it when the "necessary" things prevent me from doing what I love...). But I'll never forget the 2 times I was there. I loved the Spanish courses I took at the University of Salamanca, how they were more relaxed, and how the program encourages and creates opportunities for students to experience the culture in Spain. I definitely recommend the Spanish language program at the University of Salamanca to anyone who wants to learn or improve their Spanish. It's not only an academic experience, it's a cultural one too.

¡Viva España!

• Pros:The tuna groups, the nightlife, the study program at the University of Salamanca and everything that has to do with it.
  • Cons:You won't want to leave!
  • In a nutshell:One of the most beautiful places in Europe!
  • Last visit to Salamanca: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 3, 2014

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2010 at 9:06 AM

a very personal record here, i admire you honesty

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Nothing, its hot and sweaty. Its like wearing 2 wool blankets essentially.

• Sonia69's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2009 at 6:29 AM

I will never forget the moment in which I saw the tunos and took a picture with Domingo, the leader of the tunos (Facultad de medicina), who was not only nice but took his time to take a picture with me. I will never forget his kisses.

• jgemini65's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Your Salamanca page was helpful for my research...thanks!!

• jonathanlayer's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2007 at 7:54 PM

hey, whats a tuna group? i'm headed to salamanca in january of 2009...great page, just curious about the term. thanks!

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2007 at 1:43 AM

Nice page! Was in Salamanca for a few days only, had liked to stay much lonnger!

• raytor's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Great motto, but too cautious for my taste. Sometimes you just have to tickle them. :-)

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 8:33 PM

Great page!

• ant1606's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2006 at 1:27 AM

Nice tips about Salamanca, which will be one of our stops on our motorcycle trip in August. Thanks - Ciao :) Ant

• bliss7's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2006 at 10:59 AM

After reading this page I need to go to Salamanca!

fairy_dust

“Draco Dormiens Nunquam Tittilandus”

Badges & Stats in Salamanca

Have you been to Salamanca?

Latest Activity in Salamanca