"Appleton/Fox Cities: Quality of Life COUNTS!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Appleton by babybird
Appleton Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 72 photos
Appleton/Neenah-Menasha/Kaukauna and the rest of the Fox Cities area are perhaps mostly known for paper production. While that is a major part of local industry, there is much more to this area than the smokestacks in the background. Some of the most gorgeous SAFE and well-groomed little parks are tucked throughout all
of the respective cities. In addition to this, there are many historic homes and attractions, such as the Houdini Museum on College Avenue in Appleton. Neenah boasts
the gorgeous Riverside Park and the Bergstrom-Mahler Museum.
Interesting architecture and a huge variety of restaurants add to the liveability of the Fox Cities or
"the valley," as locals often call it. Nearby Green Bay has the famous NFL team which makes all the local watering holes a fun place to check out during a game. Crime is low compared to many other areas similar in population.
Appleton/Oshkosh and the Fox Cities have some excellent local musicians and residents support all of the fine arts in a much stronger way than many other cities
similar in population. There has also been a strong effort in recent times to renovate some of the historical industrial buildings and convert them into condos and specialty stores. The picture shown is a prime example. All of these old mill and shipping buildings are being revamped. What were once ugly abandoned or crumbling structures are seeing a great new life.
- Pros:A great place for quality of life and plenty of good restaurants beyond just the usual "chains."
- Cons:Algae on Lake Winnebago can be nasty in late summer.
- In a nutshell:Some see just the paper mills......I choose to see the parks and gardens!!!
I have done plenty of fishing and boating on Lake Winnebago, The Fox River, Lake Poygen, and Lake Buttes Des Morts in my... more travel advice
This park was once a quarry in a steep cliff on the northeast side of Lake Winnebago. Now it is a mecca for... more travel advice
babybird's Related Pages
Appleton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Fox Cities Center"
- "Appleton/Fox Cities: Quality of Life COUNTS!!!"
- "Classic American City"
- "I Live HERE!"
- "Eating my way through the Paper Valley"
- "The Big Apple(ton)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Appleton
- Hotels in Appleton
- Transportation in Appleton
- Nightlife in Appleton
- Restaurants in Appleton
- Shopping in Appleton
- Warnings and Dangers in Appleton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Appleton
- 10 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Appleton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Appleton
Photos in AppletonSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Grand Marais Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Appleton Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Temperance River State Park Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Duluth Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Ashland Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Milwaukee Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Fort Myers Intro, 5 reviews
- Panama City Beach Intro, 4 reviews
- Top 5 Page for this destination Des Moines Intro, 4 reviews
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo