"A nice small town near a major metro." Columbia by babybird
Columbia Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 11 photos
I lived in Columbia, TN for about a year and enjoyed it greatly. People are friendly and there is not a serious crime problem or staggering cost of living.
Columbia is about 35 minutes from downtown Nashville so you have the sensation of living near a big city without the headaches of traffic
and other larger urban problems.
There is a decent array of chain restaurants and some nice local ones, although I'm sure the names have changed on many since I last visited.
The James Polk home is located here and is worth a tour. There are some interesting older homes and
the city is located in gently rolling hills with some quaint neighboring communities.
"Mule Days" are big here in the summertime, and there is a huge parade and celebration. It is an easy drive to any major event in Nashville for the night or weekend.
The only downside I recall was that the town seemed to shut its doors around 10 each night, but if you are looking for loud nightclubs and partying, you can always do more of that in Nashville. If you are looking for a nice relaxing weekend in a smaller town, Columbia should be a fun little stopover for you.
- Pros:Low crime and close to Nashville without the big city headaches
- Cons:Not many truly outstanding attractions in town. More of a bedroom community.
- In a nutshell:A pleasant if not exactly thrilling "Main St. USA" type of town.
babybird's Related Pages
Columbia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "columbia, tennessee"
- "Hometown, USA"
- "Columbia: Mule Town USA"
- "A nice small town near a major metro."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Columbia
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Columbia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Columbia
Top 10 Pages
- Grand Marais Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Appleton Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Temperance River State Park Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Duluth Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Ashland Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Milwaukee Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Fort Myers Intro, 5 reviews
- Panama City Beach Intro, 4 reviews
- Top 5 Page for this destination Des Moines Intro, 4 reviews
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo
Latest Columbia hotel reviews
- Days Inn Columbia
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013