"OMAHA: Forget the Stereotypes and Visit" Top 5 Page for this destination Omaha by babybird
Omaha Travel Guide: 259 reviews and 445 photos
Like Des Moines and many midwestern medium-size metros, Omaha is likely to bring a furrowed brow when you mention it to friends who have never been there. They think of stockyards and, even though they may not say it, "dull."
In my pleasant experiences with Omaha, that is certainly NOT the case.
The city and suburbs have something for everybody. It boasts an impressive array of shopping, culture, and historic buildings and sites. The once rundown section
referred to as "Old Market" has been converted into a fun nightspot with tons of restaurants and shops. On almost any given night, you can find something fun to do in Omaha. The city has several waterparks, an impressive sports stadium and one of the finest Zoos
(Henry Doorly) my wife and I have ever visited, complete with an I-max theater.
We suggest coming in the spring or early fall to avoid the very hot and often humid summertime. If you like Casinos, there are several in nearby Council Bluffs (although I am not much of a gambler myself.)
Hotels range from family budget-sized to top of the line "high-roller,"
and can be found close to virtually anything you are interested in. Getting around is generally not a problem, as most streets are either east to west or north to south in a grid pattern. If you are looking for a fun weekend visit, or perhaps a nice place to break up the trip, Omaha has much to offer the individual or family.
- Pros:Variety of Attractions for Couples and Families. GREAT zoo!!!
- Cons:Often Uncomfortably hot in Summer
- In a nutshell:Deserves more credit than it receives
Like any fairly large city, Omaha has it's pockets of trouble zones. The Plaza and Fountain area is very pretty by day,... more travel advice
babybird's Related Pages
Omaha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of The Henry Doorly Zoo"
- "Omaha Nebraska"
- "OMAHA: Forget the Stereotypes and Visit"
- "Omaha, NE"
- "Omaha, Nebraska"
- "Surprisingly Nice Town"
- "Omaha... Excitement Building on the Plains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Omaha
- Hotels in Omaha
- Transportation in Omaha
- Nightlife in Omaha
- Restaurants in Omaha
- Shopping in Omaha
- Warnings and Dangers in Omaha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Omaha
- 3 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Omaha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Omaha
Top 10 Pages
- Grand Marais Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Appleton Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Temperance River State Park Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Duluth Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Ashland Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Milwaukee Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Fort Myers Intro, 5 reviews
- Panama City Beach Intro, 4 reviews
- Top 5 Page for this destination Des Moines Intro, 4 reviews
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo