"SOME EXTREME HIGH POINTS AND LOW ONES" Top 5 Page for this destination Macon by babybird
Macon Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 84 photos
I lived in Macon for over 10 years and witnessed many changes. Some were very good....some were certainly NOT.
There are some truly WONDERFUL people who will make you feel welcome whether you stay for a week or for years. Matter of fact, I met my wife there. (Need I add that she falls in the "wonderful" column?)
Plenty of historic homes and sites are blended throughout the various parts of the city. From certain angles, Macon can give the impression of being larger than it actually is, which can be both good and bad.
Suggested stops: the GA MUSIC HALL OF FAME downtown. After all, Macon was the hometown or launching point for many well-known performers. Among them:
Little Richard, The Allman Brothers,
and ofcourse Otis Redding. Much to see and do in that building alone.
You may want to check out the indian mounds and take a self-guided tour. Cherry Blossum Festival time (March) brings out the best of the city, with nearly 10 days of activities ranging from concerts in the downtown to Hot Air Balloon
Exhibits on the Historic Wesleyan College Campus (The first chartered women's University in our country.)
Nightlife has been praised and
reviled depending on what you wish to do. If you choose restaurants, you will find many pleasant dining experiences of all origins. Don't just patronize the chains.......try the more local/regional favorites like
Fincher's BBQ and Jeannine's.
There are several upscale establishments as well for a more
Not a lot of clubs for the younger set
and they tend to come and go rapidly. For Country Dancing, there is Whiskey River but BEWARE: some people who go there may remind you of the cousin you avoid at family gatherings (only more drunk and violent). There are some
high-energy dance clubs that seem to change vogue with the wind as well.
Most of Macon is fairly safe, but I've had the distinctly sad experience of watching many once-good neighborhoods deteriorate over a
period of time. Gang activity has increased in some neighborhoods
so beware of your surroundings when wandering on foot or in a car. Some areas should not be approached by EITHER means!!!!
Choose your hotel/living arrangements with that in mind as well. A general rule: If you see a lot
of bars on doors and windows.....
there's probably a very good reason
All in all, I believe that the city itself is in a state of economic and social
flux, but it is not deserving of being passed through without so much as a glance. There are many fond memories I have of that town. I hope to make a few new ones as well.
- Pros:Lots of History/ Very Friendly Local People
- Cons:Crime and some bad neighborhoods to avoid.
- In a nutshell:Worth a visit. Some fun out of the way spots too.
It is amazing how kind and helpful some of the people there are. Most of the locals are proud of the city and will be... more travel advice
babybird's Related Pages
Macon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "macon georgia"
- "The home of Rock icon Little Richard, et al."
- "Spring in Macon is Beautiful"
- "SOME EXTREME HIGH POINTS AND LOW ONES"
- "Central Georgia's Showpiece"
- "Help!! I can't believe I live here!!"
- "Macon - Center of Georgia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Macon
- Hotels in Macon
- Transportation in Macon
- Nightlife in Macon
- Restaurants in Macon
- Shopping in Macon
- Warnings and Dangers in Macon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Macon
- 3 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Macon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Macon
Photos in MaconSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Grand Marais Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Appleton Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Temperance River State Park Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Duluth Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Ashland Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Milwaukee Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Fort Myers Intro, 5 reviews
- Panama City Beach Intro, 4 reviews
- Top 5 Page for this destination Des Moines Intro, 4 reviews
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo