"Hanau- I was born there!" Hanau am Main by Hanau93
Hanau am Main Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 149 photos
Hanau is located in the Bundesland of Hessen about 20km east of
Frankfurt and has 91,000 residents. The city is 850 years old and well known as the birthplace
of Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm , the world famous brothers who collected many fairy tales.Who doesn't know their enchanting fairy tales? Thus, Hanau is the starting point of the Fairy-Tale-Road to Bremen ( Maerchenstrasse), which attracts many
tourists from Germany and other countries.
Hanau is also well-known for other little 'jewels'. The Goldschmiedehaus, although heavily damaged during the war, is a fine example of the half-timbered architecture in Hessen. It is now a museum displaying jewellery the goldsmiths of Hanau are famous for.
Schloss Philippsruhe, a castle built by Napoleon the second, houses a great museum as well. It is located alongside one of Hanau's rivers, the Main.
Only a few minutes away by car you will find one of the Crown Prince Wilhelm's old spa's , WILHELMSBAD. The beautifully architected park and the buildings are a great place to visit.
Hanau is a also a town of two rivers, with the smaller one, the Kinzig, flowing into the Main .
A postcard from Hanau showcasing
our tourist attractions..Big picture; The Marktplatz, to the left the Main River, below historical Gate at a highschool, Wilhelmsbad, the Goldschmiedehaus and Schloss Phillipsruhe.
In the heart of Hanau you will find the Marktplatz with the City Hall and the Brothers Grimm Monument right in front of it . Erected in 1896 it was created by the Munich sculptor Professor Syrius Eberle. The Grimm Borthers are of course famous for their fairy and folk tales. Jakob was born in 1785 and Wilhelm in 1786. The altter one was also an outstanding philologist.
Every Wednesday and Saturday the farmer's market takes place on the Marktplatz. It's worth a visit. Shopping is close by with the Kaufhof located to the right..You can also take a nice coffeebreak with excellent German pastries in the nearby Cafe Weiermann
- Pros:one doesn't need a car to explore downtown
- Cons:bad parking downtown
- In a nutshell:More than just a town SE of Frankfurt!!
Definitely the Jaegerschnitzel , it's divine as well as their rump steak. The service is excellent and very... more travel advice
Located in the center of the old part of Hanau it used to be part of the chateau that doesn't exist anymore. Across the... more travel advice
Hanau93's Related Pages
Hanau am Main Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hanau- I was born there!"
- "Bonio's trip to Hanau"
- "Hanau in summer"
- "A Wombat in Hanau"
- "Hanau, DE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hanau am Main
- Hotels in Hanau am Main
- Transportation in Hanau am Main
- Nightlife in Hanau am Main
- Restaurants in Hanau am Main
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hanau am Main
- 12 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Hanau am Main?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanau am Main
Photos in Hanau am MainSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Hanau am Main Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Albert Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Edmonton Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Jasper National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Jasper Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos
- London Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Pigeon Lake Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Bournemouth Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Anchorage Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue