"Friendly and never far from nature" Black River Falls by etfromnc
Black River Falls Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos
A very friendly town in west central Wisconsin with thousands of acres (Someone said 65,000.) of protected forest all around you, but mostly to the east in the Black River State Forest. There is a paved and lighted walking, jogging, rollerblading trail in the town and the opportunity for outdoor activities is almost unlimited. There are over 30 miles of snowmobiling trails. There are also hiking trails, fishing spots, campgrounds and picnic areas, great canoeing waters. If it happens outdoors, with the possible exception of downhill skiing, you can do it in or near Black River Falls, even go scuba diving in a lake with depths of up to 300 feet. Try the Skyline Golf Course for golf and for some pretty picturesque dining.
Wierd, hunh? This is the title of a book which I have seen but honestly have not read. It was the Ph. D. dissertation for Dr. Mischael Lesy at Rutgers University. It was originally published as a commercial venture in 1973 and has recently been put back into print. (Ask your closest pal Ph. D. how often a dissertation gets published as a hardback book and he will be impressed that this one was even once, let alone twice.) The book was even made into an opera with very limited success and a movie which experienced more approbation. The book is about life in a small upper midwestern town around the turn of the 18th to 19th centuries. There are over 200 photgraphs of the era in the book and those and more are in the Jackson County Historical Museum in Black River Falls.
- The Winnebago Tribe were the earliest inhabitants of this area. The Winnebago Reservation is in Nebraska but many Winnebago (or Ho-Chunk) have returned and now live in the area.
- The lumber for the first Mormon Temple in Nauvoo, IL came from the Black River Falls area.
- Originally settled in 1839.
- Entire town was destroyed by fire in 1860 but quickly rebuilt.
- Pros:Wonderful outdoor activities
- Cons:It is too far away
- In a nutshell:Really get back to nature
etfromnc's Related Pages
Black River Falls Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Friendly and never far from nature"
- "Black river Falls"
- "Black River Falls, or just north of it."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Black River Falls
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Black River Falls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Black River Falls
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 39 reviews, 14 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo