"Capital of VA and the Confederacy" Richmond by etfromnc
Richmond Travel Guide: 880 reviews and 1,433 photos
To me, Richmond is also the centerpiece of early American history. If you are new to the USA, or to Virginia, and want to learn the most about colonial America in the shortest time and distance, you might do well to divide your time between the City of Richmond (and its surrounding counties of Henrico and Chesterfield) and the history along scenic Virginia Hwy 5. The most historically significant portion of this Scenic Byway runs from Interstate 295 east of Richmond to Jamestown and provides an excellent pathway for exploring early American history, especially the legacy of 1607, from the establishment of Jamestown and the introduction of Virginia's plantation economy to the Civil War and the end of slavery. Four centuries of history are yours to explore between Richmond and Jamestown.
Within Richmond itself, you may want to experience the nightliin the recently renovated tobacco warehouse district, almost literally, beneath
I-95, known as Shockoe Bottom. The University of Richmond and Virginia Commonwealth University (which I attended for one year many years ago) offer many cultural and other diversions. There is also a remarkable array of museums in Richmond, including the Science Museum of Virginia, the Museum of the Confederacy, the Virginia Holocaust Museum, the Virginia of Fine Arts, and the Old Dominion Railway Museum.
Set in the city's hot new West Broad Village lifestyle center this very modern new hotel is surrounded by chic shops,... more travel advice
etfromnc's Related Pages
Richmond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Richmond, VA"
- "PAGE DEDICATED TO NAT (b1bob on VT)"
- "richmond, virginia"
- "Revolutionary and Civil War History"
- "Richmond (A city of diverse history)"
- "A wonderful walk through Richmond"
- "The Rise and Fall and Rise of Richmond"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Richmond
- Hotels in Richmond
- Transportation in Richmond
- Nightlife in Richmond
- Restaurants in Richmond
- Shopping in Richmond
- Warnings and Dangers in Richmond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Richmond
- 6 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Richmond
- Posted in Travel Crete Island Forum "Re: Travelling to Crete"
- updated a Richmond Travel Page "Capital of VA and the Confederacy"
- Wrote a Review Visit Hollywood (Cemetery, that is.) about Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "... and I thought Charlotte was growing"
- Commented on one of bigfatcats's Richmond travel pages
Photos in RichmondSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 40 reviews, 14 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo