"Capital of VA and the Confederacy" Richmond by etfromnc
Richmond Travel Guide: 842 reviews and 1,308 photos
To me, Richmond is also the centerpiece of early American history. If you are new to the USA, or to Virginia, and want to learn the most about colonial America in the shortest time and distance, you might do well to divide your time between the City of Richmond (and its surrounding counties of Henrico and Chesterfield) and the history along scenic Virginia Hwy 5. The most historically significant portion of this Scenic Byway runs from Interstate 295 east of Richmond to Jamestown and provides an excellent pathway for exploring early American history, especially the legacy of 1607, from the establishment of Jamestown and the introduction of Virginia's plantation economy to the Civil War and the end of slavery. Four centuries of history are yours to explore between Richmond and Jamestown.
Within Richmond itself, you may want to experience the nightliin the recently renovated tobacco warehouse district, almost literally, beneath
I-95, known as Shockoe Bottom. The University of Richmond and Virginia Commonwealth University (which I attended for one year many years ago) offer many cultural and other diversions. There is also a remarkable array of museums in Richmond, including the Science Museum of Virginia, the Museum of the Confederacy, the Virginia Holocaust Museum, the Virginia of Fine Arts, and the Old Dominion Railway Museum.
Set in the city's hot new West Broad Village lifestyle center this very modern new hotel is surrounded by chic shops,... more travel advice
etfromnc's Related Pages
Richmond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Richmond, VA"
- "PAGE DEDICATED TO NAT (b1bob on VT)"
- "richmond, virginia"
- "Revolutionary and Civil War History"
- "Richmond (A city of diverse history)"
- "A wonderful walk through Richmond"
- "The Rise and Fall and Rise of Richmond"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Richmond
- Hotels in Richmond
- Transportation in Richmond
- Nightlife in Richmond
- Restaurants in Richmond
- Shopping in Richmond
- Warnings and Dangers in Richmond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Richmond
- 5 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Richmond
- Posted in Travel Madrid Forum "Re: Save part of Madrid for long..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "... and I thought Charlotte was growing"
- Wrote a Review ... and I thought Charlotte was... in Richmond Hotels
- updated a Richmond Travel Page "Capital of VA and the Confederacy"
- Commented on one of bigfatcats's Richmond travel pages
Photos in RichmondSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Matthews Intro, 11 reviews, 7 photos
- Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo
Latest Richmond hotel reviews
- The Jefferson Hotel
- 592 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Richmond NW
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Holiday Inn Richmond South-Belles Road
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Crowne Plaza West
- 181 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Linden Row Inn
- 365 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Howard Johnson Express
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Sheraton Park South Hotel
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Omni Richmond Hotel
- 519 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Comfort Inn Conference Center Midtown
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- La Quinta Inn Richmond
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Richmond - I64 At Innsbrook
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Candlewood Suites Richmond South
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 14, 2013
- Doubletree Hotel Richmond Downtown
- 297 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013