"The Caverns and more" Luray by etfromnc
Luray Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 330 photos
Luray has become quite a tourist town since my earliest memories of a small mountain town that was very hard to reach. I guess I-81 fueled its growth. The most exciting thing about the town, however, is still the Caverns. Off of I-81 at exit 264 in northern Virginia, this is a place that even people who hate caves should not miss. In addition to being the home to these awesome (literally) caverns this is also the location of the central western entrance to Shenandoah National Park and the Skyline Drive home of some of the most beautiful vistas on the east coast. Thus, you can go from the beauty of the center of the earth (sort of) to soaring with the eagles (literally) within a few miles of one central point.
I am not certain of the importance of this point to others but for years I was confused and thought that the Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, and Shenandoah Highway were interchangeable names for the two lane highway that more-or-less runs along the crest of the Appalachians from far northern Virginia to far western North Carolina. I was wrong. They are not intercahngeable at all.
The Skyline Drive runs from Front Royal in northern Virginia to about Waynesboro and Staunton in central western Virginia. The Blue Ridge Parkway picks up where the Skyline Drive ends and proceeds into western North Carolina. The main differentiation between these two is the funding for maintenance. The Skyline Drive is a toll road. The Blue Ridge Parkway is not.
The Shenandoah Highway is about a country, blue grass song and a musical group and they do not receive any public funds unless you buy their records or concert tickets.
Stayed here as part of a group of 25. Great weekend!! The Blue Ridge Mountains are by no means the highest nor most awe... more travel advice
etfromnc's Related Pages
Luray Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Never, never skip Luray while in Virginia!"
- "More than just the caverns"
- "July 2005 in Luray"
- "Blue Ridge Delight"
- "The Caverns and more"
- "Luray: Heart of the Shenandoah Valley"
- "Rasta_Rob's Luray Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luray
- Hotels in Luray
- Transportation in Luray
- Nightlife in Luray
- Restaurants in Luray
- Shopping in Luray
- Warnings and Dangers in Luray
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Luray
- 3 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Luray?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luray
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 39 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo