"Where Memories Are Made" Lexington by etfromnc
Lexington Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 66 photos
Beautiful country, warm people, and lots of history.
Sam Houston was born near Lexington.
General George C Marshall, Chief of Staff of the US Army, US Secretary of State, author of the Marshall Plan which brought economic recovery to Europe after World War II, and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize was educated at Virginia Military Institute in Lexington.
George Washington was a patron and donor to a small school that then chaged its name to Washington College. After the Civil War Robert E Lee became president of Washington College and it eventually became Washington & Lee University.
Generals Lee and Stonewall Jackson are buried here.
Cyrus McCormick invented the mechanical reaper in a workshop north of Lexington.
The Virginia Natural Bridge and Caverns are south of town. (Please see my page on the Natural Bridge.)
Today, in addition to these fine educational institutions (VMI and Washington & Lee University), you will find Lexington to be a (bigger than average) college town with a flavor of days gone by throughout. A great place to visit, perhaps an even better place to live if you are ready to get away from the worst parts of the rat race, although there are all of the cultural advantages of a college town.
Thomas Jonathan Jackson is probably much more widely known as Stonewall Jackson. A graduate of West Point, he was a... more travel advice
In many ways, the Virginia Military Institute is the heart and soul of Lexington and Rockbridge County, VA. It is the... more travel advice
Written Feb 9, 2004
Walking Tour of VMI
Written Feb 13, 2004
VMI Walking Tour, Part 2
etfromnc's Related Pages
Lexington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "lexington virginia"
- "Historic College Town"
- "Where Memories Are Made"
- "Virginia Horse Center"
- "Woods Creek Trail"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lexington
- 4 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Lexington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lexington
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 39 reviews, 14 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo