"They've come a long way baby!" Spartanburg by etfromnc
Spartanburg Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 8 photos
Spartanburg is one of those small to medium Southern towns which had a chance to die but seems to have avoided that fate. Once a textile center, it really was never "just" a textile town and that may have been its saving grace.
Perhaps the biggest single revitalizing event in recent years was when former Wofford football star and graduate Jerry Richardson was awarded an NFL franchise and decided to accept Team Spartanburg's offer to establish his team's pre-season training camp here. The city is also home to more major corporate headquarters than one might think for a town of its size. BMW has a major manufacturing plant here and Milliken & Co., Denny's (restaurant) Corporation, and Extended Stay America hotels all have their corporate headquarters here. It is also home to several arboretums and botanical gardens, six colleges, and a wide array of athletic facilities and events.
Spartanburg has 43 hotels, seven bed and breakfasts, and three campgrounds offering you a choice of over 4000 places for your overnight stay.
And DO NOT forget the southern charm!!
I am not up to date on recent Spartanburg history but I could not help but wonder as to the relationship between the name of her current mayor, Bill Barnet, and the name of the park (Barnet Park) which is a major focal point of Spartanburg's civic revitalization. The walkways, fountain, and grassy areas of Barnet Park were more crowded than one would expect of a downtown park each time I drove or walked by during my visit.
Although July and August can be oppressively hot in this area, winters are usually mild and Spartanburg is very much oriented to outdoor life, aesthetically, athletically, and otherwise. Parks, arboreta, golf courses, fishing "holes," playing fields, and trails for walking, running, or biking, and even horseback riding abound, as well as an abundance of other places of natural outdoor beauty which are available merely for your relaxed enjoyment.
- Pros:Southern charm and friendliness
If you have read many of my Charlotte restaurant tips, you may have gathered that I really enjoy good Thai food but that... more travel advice
etfromnc's Related Pages
Spartanburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Greetings from Spartanburg"
- "They've come a long way baby!"
- "heplion's new Spartanburg Page"
- "Spartanburg County, South Carolina"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Spartanburg
- 3 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Spartanburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spartanburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 40 reviews, 14 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo