"Almost home" Winston-Salem by etfromnc
Winston-Salem Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 20 photos
Only 36 miles from where I was born, this might well have become my idea of what a city is like but other than surgery at the Baptist Hospital (now known as the Bowman-Gray Medical Center) while still in my first year of life, I never really spent any time in "Winston" (as the locals quite often refer to it) until I became an adolescent. Since those visits in my teen years, I have come to think of it as a city with small-town charm and big-city style and ambition. Winston-Salem is a dream destination for those looking to explore art, fine dining, and nightlife. It is also a gateway to the Yadkin Valley Wine Country, allowing visitors to experience first hand the flavor of North Carolina’s vineyards, although I personally consider just about any exit off I-77 north of I-40 to be a very acceptable gateway to them.
If you are a golfer, you have probably heard of the Bermuda Run Golf Club. It and two courses at nearby Tanglewood Park are all southwest of Winston-Salem and offer excellent chalenges for every level golfer. Tanglewood also offers a wide array of other outdoor activities and was the site of many of our extended family get-togethers when I was a teenager.
Wake Forest University, the Reynolda House Museum of American Art, the Old Salem Museum & Gardens, and Hanover Park Vineyards should also be on your list of places to visit when in Winston-Salem.
etfromnc's Related Pages
Winston-Salem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ScottDG1's new Winston-Salem Page"
- "ICON OF BYGONE ERA...not ME!..the SHELL STATION."
- "Almost home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Winston-Salem
- Hotels in Winston-Salem
- Transportation in Winston-Salem
- Nightlife in Winston-Salem
- Restaurants in Winston-Salem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winston-Salem
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Winston-Salem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winston-Salem
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 40 reviews, 14 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo