"Almost home" Winston-Salem by etfromnc

Winston-Salem Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 18 photos

Only 36 miles from where I was born, this might well have become my idea of what a city is like but other than surgery at the Baptist Hospital (now known as the Bowman-Gray Medical Center) while still in my first year of life, I never really spent any time in "Winston" (as the locals quite often refer to it) until I became an adolescent. Since those visits in my teen years, I have come to think of it as a city with small-town charm and big-city style and ambition. Winston-Salem is a dream destination for those looking to explore art, fine dining, and nightlife. It is also a gateway to the Yadkin Valley Wine Country, allowing visitors to experience first hand the flavor of North Carolina’s vineyards, although I personally consider just about any exit off I-77 north of I-40 to be a very acceptable gateway to them.
If you are a golfer, you have probably heard of the Bermuda Run Golf Club. It and two courses at nearby Tanglewood Park are all southwest of Winston-Salem and offer excellent chalenges for every level golfer. Tanglewood also offers a wide array of other outdoor activities and was the site of many of our extended family get-togethers when I was a teenager.
Wake Forest University, the Reynolda House Museum of American Art, the Old Salem Museum & Gardens, and Hanover Park Vineyards should also be on your list of places to visit when in Winston-Salem.

• Last visit to Winston-Salem: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 3, 2009

etfromnc Visits Here Frequently!

etfromnc

“Too blessed to be stressed”

Badges & Stats in Winston-Salem

Have you been to Winston-Salem?

Latest Activity in Winston-Salem