"One of NC's newer towns" Oak Island by etfromnc
Oak Island Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 19 photos
The town of Oak Island, North Carolina is located mostly on Oak Island (which also contains the town of Caswell Beach and the North Carolina Baptist Assembly at Fort Caswell) in Brunswick County. A small part of the town extends onto the mainland north of the island's bridge. The population was 6,571 at the 2000 census. It was founded in 1999 by the consolidation of the towns of Long Beach and Yaupon Beach. Its main industry is tourism and it has an average summer population of 30-40,000.
The island has been inhabited by Europeans since early in the 19th Century. Fort Caswell was built on its eastern end in 1838. The remainder of the island was developed beginning in the late 1930s; a pavilion attracted people from nearby Southport and fox hunting was popular in the northern part of the island near the Intracoastal Waterway for quite some time. The island was nearly wiped out by Hurricane Hazel in 1954. Only five buildings were left standing on Long Beach in the hurricane's wake. The island quickly recovered and towns of Long Beach and Yaupon Beach were incorporated in 1955. The Oak Island Lighthouse also opened in 1958, at a cost of only $110,000. Other hurricanes, such as Diana in 1984, Bertha and Fran in 1996 and Floyd in 1999, have caused damage to the island, though nowhere near as catastrophic as that of Hazel.
etfromnc's Related Pages
Oak Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oak Island, NORTH CAROLINA"
- "Oak Island, NC"
- "My favorite place - Oak Island, NC"
- "One of NC's newer towns"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oak Island
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Oak Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oak Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo