""Gem Capital of the World"" Franklin by etfromnc
Franklin Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 29 photos
Where they got this name is a mystery to me but you see it all over town, including on some government facilities, so there must be some basis for it. Franklin is the seat of Macon County government. Its permanent population is relatively small but doubles from late spring through the fall foliage season. It is easily accessible from Asheville, Georgia, and South Carolina via US Hwys 441 and 64. These highways which pass through Franklin connect to Interstate highways 40, 26, and 85, as well as highway 74 which is in the process of being upgraded to Interstate status.
Nearly half of the land in the county is under the protection of the US Forest Service which helps to account for the vast woodlands and other botanical and animal wonders of the area.
The town itself has an eclectic array of shops, restaurants, and sites to see and explore. As seems to be true throughout western North Carolina, antiques abound (and that is not just the people) but other shops offer a variety of clothing from outdoors to fine fashion and locally mined jewels to fine art.
In many places, but particularly in the southeastern United States, the term "fish fry," conjures up pictures of large... more travel advice
etfromnc's Related Pages
Franklin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Gem Capital of the World""
- "Franklin, a Gem in the North Carolina Mountains"
- "mcharlton's new Franklin Page"
- "Franklin for Gem Lovers"
- "Cabin on the Hill"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Franklin
- Hotels in Franklin
- Nightlife in Franklin
- Restaurants in Franklin
- Shopping in Franklin
- See All...
Explore the World
- Central & Eastern Thailand
- Algonquin Provincial Park
- Timpanogos Cave National Monument Hotels
- Santa Juliana
- San Sebastián
- Inle Lake Hotels
- Lough Tay Hotels
- Kilchreest Hotels
- Imouzzer du Kandar
- Detroit Lakes
- Yukon Territory
- Ménerbes Hotels
- Charikot Hotels
- San Marino
Badges & Stats in Franklin
- 9 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Franklin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Franklin
Photos in FranklinSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 36 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo
Latest Franklin hotel reviews
- Franklin-Days Inn
- 1 Review & Opinion