"Is this really our Native American heritage?" Cherokee by etfromnc
Cherokee Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 96 photos
There are probably those who will say that I am writing this only because I am anti-gambling (Which I am.) but I am one generation beyond being able to claim membership in the Black Foot Indian tribe and feel a great affinity, and sympathy, for all Native American people groups but while they accuse the White Man of raping and pillaging their land (Which is also at least partly true.), Europeans did nothing to destroy Native American culture and heritage compared to what the plethora of casinos at every place which can convince the US Congress to allow it to call itself Native American has done.
As a child, there was very little that I enjoyed more than visiting the area around Cherokee and watching craftsmen at work, fishing (or just dangling my feet) in the Oconaluftee River, trying to learn to shoot a bow and arrows, and many other "Native American" activities.
Today, traffic, drunks, and celebrating or whining gamblers far outnumber and effectively subjugate both true Native Americans and other tourists. You can still enjoy the heritage and culture but you have to work much harder to find it.
- Pros:Oconaluftee River and Village
- Cons:Harrah's casino
- In a nutshell:You do not have to be ancient to miss the "good old days."
When is the last time you went wading in a real river? The water in the Oconaluftee River originates from springs... more travel advice
etfromnc's Related Pages
Cherokee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From ancient times to new commercialism"
- "Cherokee Nation- NC"
- "Welcome to my very small Cherokee page"
- "Fun Camping in Cherokee"
- "Cherokee North Carolina"
- "Indian Town entrance to Great Smoky Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cherokee
- Hotels in Cherokee
- Restaurants in Cherokee
- Shopping in Cherokee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cherokee
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Cherokee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cherokee
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 40 reviews, 14 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo