"Queen City of the South" Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte by etfromnc
Charlotte Travel Guide: 567 reviews and 652 photos
Founded in 1769 and named for Queen Charlotte of England, wife of King George III, the city of Charlotte has a heritage strongly influenced by an influx of Scots and Irish settlers, the late 18th Century discovery of gold, and development of a variety of industries, especially agriculture, textiles, and financial services.
The North Carolina Department of Tourism describes Charlotte as follows:
"Charlotte, with a booming population of 500,000, has become the second-leading financial center in the nation, second only to New York City. But many decades earlier, in the aftermath of the Civil War, Charlotte was a village of 5,000. Vast cotton fields across the Piedmont led to a focal point in and around the Charlotte region."
Charlotte does not have a RiverWalk, an Inner Harbor, nor any world famous historic relics. Have you ever been anywhere and enjoyed the visit but knew that you would not want to live there? Charlotte is just the opposite. It offers all of the amenities of other large cities and is conveniently located near three lakes, which offer every imaginable opportunity for water sports from fishing and swimming to waterskiing, but it is still not the most exciting place in the world to visit. It is a wonderful place to live, however. I know because I grew up here, literally lived all around our country plus two other continents and chose to return to Charlotte. I may not live here forever but for now I am here. Give me a call if you are in the area, or better yet send me an e-mail beforehand and we will try to help you have a memorable time while you are here.
Although my home is literally in Matthews, I consider Charlotte my "home town" because I grew up there and because Matthews is a small town on the outskirts of Charlotte.
Charlotte is ranked the 6th ‘brainiest’ city among America’s largest municipalities based on residents with higher education degrees, but the 38th ‘smartest’ large American city when it comes to becoming a healthy and sustainable community positioned for success in the 21st century. Why the gap? Are we at risk of rapidly losing our quality of life because we are not creative enough? What can we do to infuse our city with the intelligence needed for resilience and positive change? How can Charlotte enhance and effectively draw upon its intelligence to thrive?
On the other hand, Charlotte just received an award from the EPA for "smart growth achievement" and, in part, the accompanying citation states, "As the central city in a rapidly growing metropolitan area, Charlotte, N.C., is under intense development pressures. Rather than continue the automobile-dominated development patterns of the last 50 years, Charlotte adopted Urban Street Design Guidelines to make walking, bicycling, and transit more appealing and to make the city more attractive and sustainable."
- Pros:Fast growing Southern city which still retains a lot of Southern charm
- Cons:Growing too fast for its infrastructure
- In a nutshell:My hometown
Protecting yourself from hunger pangs isn't always easy -- so it's a savvy move to fortify yourself at The Great Wall of... more travel advice
The Catawba Lands Conservancy (CLC) added 10 plots totaling 1,623 acres in 2011 closing the year with the acquisition of... more travel advice
etfromnc's Related Pages
Charlotte Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Queen City of Charlotte, NC"
- "b1bob does Charlotte in a big way"
- "Charlotte, NC"
- "Queen City of the South"
- "Southern city.....southern charm"
- "Always a great place to visit"
- "Charlotte, NC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charlotte
- Hotels in Charlotte
- Transportation in Charlotte
- Nightlife in Charlotte
- Restaurants in Charlotte
- Shopping in Charlotte
- Warnings and Dangers in Charlotte
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charlotte
- 98 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Charlotte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charlotte
- Posted in Travel Washington D.C. Forum "Re: Hotels in DC for the VT meet..."
- Wrote a Review Cost conscious Libertarians unite in Charlotte Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bechtler Museum of Modern Art"
- updated a Charlotte Travel Page "Queen City of the South"
- Commented on one of buttercup77's Charlotte travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 37 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo