"Jumping off Point for ..." Warroad by etfromnc

Warroad Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 5 photos

Lake of the Woods

No other body of water in Minnesota, probably no other body of water in the USA, gives up a greater treasure of walleye to anglers, month after month and year after year, than does the Lake of the Woods. Warroad and Baudette are two great access points for Lake of the Woods, but with 65,000 miles of shoreline in Minnesota and Canada, there is no way to pick THE best place. These towns were just best for my fishing buddies and me.

and the Northwest Angle

Once again VT has stymied my ability to describe Minnesota as I remember and love it. First, they would not let me pay proper homage to the Twin Cities and now they have no available references to the northernmost point in the "lower 48" of the United States.
The Northwest Angle of Minnesota is almost certainly a cartographer's error. You cannot reach it by land from any other part of the United States without going through Canada.
Outdoorsmen, especially fishermen, probably have great reason to be greatful for that little error. Although the area is over-developed for the true outdoor adventurer, and no local will agree with my theory, I sincerely feel that if the Northwest Angle were not isolated from the USA by water and an international border, it would be even more widely developed.
There are several fishing resorts on "The Angle" and "The Islands."

• Pros:Almost hidden out of the way
  • Cons:Can't think of any
  • In a nutshell:Be grateful for inept cartographers, Minnesotans
  • Last visit to Warroad: May 2000
  • Intro Updated Dec 9, 2004

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2006 at 7:04 PM

I've been to Lake-of-the-Woods but never yet to the Northwest Angle. You make me want to go there - so my list of places to see keeps growing.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2004 at 7:41 PM

I gotta agree. Fresh fish cooked over an open fire is the best!

etfromnc

“Too blessed to be stressed”

Badges & Stats in Warroad

Have you been to Warroad?