"Home of the Peacepipe" Pipestone by etfromnc
Pipestone Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 16 photos
Pipestone is the name of a county and a town in southwestern Minnesota. It is so named, and got its nickname, because of the beautiful red stone (similar in texture to soapstone but much firmer) which Indian tribes from all over the Upper Midwest came to mine in this area. The stone had a variety of uses but the most prominent was to make the peacepipes of western movie fame. I have one of them and have actually smoked it once but since I am no longer at war with my Indian brothers and sisters, it seems to be mostly decorative now. These and other quarries in the area were also the source of a harder quartzsite stone from which about 20 beautiful old buildings in the center of town were built.
The town is home to slightly over 40% of the approximately 10,000 people who live in Pipestone County. The entire downtown area is on the National Register of Historic Places. The tree-lined streets and many stone buildings are well worth a visit.
For more info, call the Pipestone Convention & Visitors Bureau at 800-336-6125.
- Pros:Small town, lots of Indian lore
The best way to see downtown Pipestone is to walk. You can get a map from the Pipestone Convention & Visitors Bureau or... more travel advice
etfromnc's Related Pages
Pipestone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pipestone National Momument"
- "Home of the Peacepipe"
- "Pipestone, US"
- "Basaic Pipestone County Courthouse"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pipestone
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Pipestone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pipestone
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 37 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos