"Lincoln Avenue and the Otter Tail River" Fergus Falls by etfromnc
Fergus Falls Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 14 photos
Shortly after World War I, Fergus Falls was almost blown away, by a windstorm, not foreign agents. The wind did leave a few 19th Century buildings and today they are the centerpiece of a small city replete with lakes and parks.
In the early 1990s, the city fathers decided to spruce up Fergus Falls and they did a great job of it. The predominant tree in Fergus Falls is the ash so maybe I should reconsider that comment about "sprucing up."
Lincoln Avenue is the main thoroughfare for both business and beauty. It is lined with a lot of those ash trees and there are benches all over to allow you to just sit and enjoy your surroundings. Interspersed among those benches are a clock tower, old-fashioned street lights, many flowers, and a plethora of shops where you can eat, buy gifts (including local and regional crafts), or just shop. There are several eateries ranging from a coffehouse to an ice cream shop and even a Chinese restaurant but my favorite place to eat is the Viking Cafe. That also seems to be most popular with the locals. (Try their meatloaf dinner.)
Don't forget to look up. Many of the older buildings have ornate facades with many sporting the original name of the building and the year it was built.
The Fergus Theatre was built in 1921 and lives on today as the Center for the Arts. Just within the month that I am writing this note, this center will host a Black History Month theatre production, another touring drama company, and an Irish Minstrel performance
Just a short walk south of Lincoln Avenue is the Otter Tail River. There is a paved path of approximately five blocks in length along the south shore of the river. This is a delightful place to take a leisurely walk and get acquainted with local nature and local history. There are several signs along this path which tell bits and pieces of Fergus Falls's history.
For additional information, call the Fergus Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau, at 800-726-8959.
- In a nutshell:Away from the hustle and bustle
etfromnc's Related Pages
Fergus Falls Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heading east this time!"
- "Clitherall Lake Summer Vacation"
- "PhylR's Home Away From Home"
- "Lincoln Avenue and the Otter Tail River"
- "Fergus Falls, US"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fergus Falls
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Fergus Falls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fergus Falls
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 37 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo