"Central city of eastern Macedonia" Stip by etfromnc
Stip Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 284 photos
Štip is the largest urban center in the eastern part of the Republic of Macedonia, serving as the economic, industrial, entertainment, and educational focal point for the surrounding municipalities. As of the 2002 census, the Štip municipality alone had a population of about 47,796. Štip is the largest textile production center in Macedonia, the center of the fashion industry in the country, as well as the location of the only public university in Eastern Macedonia, Goce Delčev University of Štip. The first known opera performance in Republic of Macedonia was staged in Štip in 1925.
Located at the intersection of the Lakavica, Ovče Pole, and Kočani valleys, two rivers pass through Štip, the Bregalnica which is the second largest river in the Republic of Macedonia, and the Otinja which bisects the city center. The hill Isar, with its early medieval fortress on top, dominates the city and provides for the common reference as "The city under the Isar'.
Summers are hot and dry with temperatures usually in the 90s F and often exceeding 100 °F. Winters are short, usually no more than two months and mild with normals barely below freezing and temperatures in the teens Fahrenheit being considered extreme. Spring usually comes in February, when trees and flowers begin to bud, but rare snow storms have been known as late as May.
Štip has a well preserved 14th-century monastery and the ruins of its old castle which keeps a watchful eye on the town from the Isar Hill. There is a stairway up the hill with memorials to locals who died in a war in which they were involved. (Unfortunately, I do not recall which one. If someone will remind me, I would love to correct this deficiency.) The accompanying photo is of yours truly descending those steps.
On the right bank of the river Otinja, on the south side of the Isar hill, a church dedicated to St. John the Baptist... more travel advice
etfromnc's Related Pages
Stip Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A day in Stip for tresure hunting"
- "Stip: worth a Stop!"
- "Roman Astibo or modern day Shtip"
- "Central city of eastern Macedonia"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stip
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Stip?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stip
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How long does it take you?"
- updated a Stip Travel Page "Central city of eastern Macedonia"
- Wrote a Review The Church of St John the Baptist in Stip Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Church of St John the Baptist"
- Commented on one of MacedonianUK's Stip travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 40 reviews, 14 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos