"Central Suffolk & I look forward to learning more" Bury Saint Edmunds by etfromnc
Bury Saint Edmunds Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 191 photos
Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk was once the capital of the nation known as East Anglia and the town and surrounding area are full of history. Named after King Edmund of East Anglia, which was a separate nation until 869 A. D., this lovely medieval market town has a warm and friendly atmosphere throughout the year. It is convenient to Cambridge, Ipswich, and Norwich and only two hours from London.
This week I returned there for the first time in about 25 years and was quite impressed. Unfortunately, I was only there for one night and parts of two days but it was an awesome, and quite educational, visit. I had been through Bury St. Edmunds on several previous occasions but had never stopped for more than a few minutes. The highlights of our afternoon walking tour included a tour of the Abbey Gardens and their Monastic ruins, where a plaque commemorates the meeting where the Barons of England met and agreed to force King John to sign the Magna Carta. That event gives Bury St. Edmunds the honor of being regarded as the cradle of English Law.
etfromnc's Related Pages
Bury Saint Edmunds Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bury St Edmunds - My Hometown! Well it used to be!"
- "Suffolk Patron Saint's, place of rest..."
- "A very impressive cathedral"
- "Bury St Edmunds"
- "Shrine of the King, Cradle of the Law"
- "Bury St. Edmunds Abbey and Gardens."
- "Bury St Edmonds"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bury Saint Edmunds
- Hotels in Bury Saint Edmunds
- Transportation in Bury Saint Edmunds
- Nightlife in Bury Saint Edmunds
- Restaurants in Bury Saint Edmunds
- Shopping in Bury Saint Edmunds
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bury Saint Edmunds
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Bury Saint Edmunds?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bury Saint Edmunds
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 40 reviews, 14 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo