"Slow down and enjoy" Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur by etfromnc
Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Travel Guide: 6,667 reviews and 17,236 photos
I only spent a couple days in Provence, on the way home from Bosnia in the summer of 2008, but that was more than enough to convince me that Provence well deserves its high praise and that this is another area where I must find more time for exploration.
You may be more familiar with this area as Cote d'Azur or the French Riviera, although Provence includes much more than the beautiful coast and crystal blue waters from which it gets its most prominent nicknames. Its most famous cities are Nice, Cannes, and Marseilles. Each of these cities have many tourist attractions, thus many tourists. If you want beaches for sun and people-watching either Nice or Cannes will more than meet your needs but I did notice that the beaches at Cannes are much more amenable to walking barefoot or lying directly on the ground, as the beaches of Nice are much more rocky as compared to the finer sand at Cannes.
There’s nothing "natural" about the neatly tended rows of lavender, but the vivid purple hills of Provence are rightly legendary. Every summer, flowering lavender sets the hills of southern France alight with colour. One of the most famous views is at the Abbaye Notre Dame du Sénanque, but the Routes de la Lavande site (www.routes-lavande.com) can point you to a range of ways to see violet.
etfromnc's Related Pages
Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Provence in the autumn is beautiful!"
- "La Provence par Porteplume"
- "Cote d'Azur"
- "A Beer in Provence"
- "Provence and Cote de Azur"
- "My Cote D'Azur"
- "Provence 2008 - Off Season"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- Hotels in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- Transportation in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- Nightlife in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- Restaurants in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- Shopping in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- Warnings and Dangers in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- 8 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 96 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 31 reviews, 14 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 7 photos
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 8 reviews, 2 photos
Top Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur hotels
- Nice Hotels
- 1782 Reviews - 3912 Photos
- Cannes Hotels
- 442 Reviews - 1100 Photos
- Avignon Hotels
- 414 Reviews - 1172 Photos
- Villefranche-sur-Mer Hotels
- 94 Reviews - 239 Photos
- Marseille Hotels
- 768 Reviews - 1747 Photos
- Aix-en-Provence Hotels
- 331 Reviews - 711 Photos
- Menton Hotels
- 131 Reviews - 292 Photos
- Juan-les-Pins Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 58 Photos
- Arles Hotels
- 292 Reviews - 789 Photos
- Roquebrune-Cap-Martin Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 43 Photos
- Toulon Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 331 Photos
- Antibes Hotels
- 196 Reviews - 492 Photos
- Cassis Hotels
- 39 Reviews - 84 Photos
- Éze Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 643 Photos
- Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 194 Photos