"Capital city of Guam" Hagatna by etfromnc
Hagatna Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 44 photos
During my travels to Guam, I always heard the capital city referred to as Agana. I have some Guamanian friends in the US who also refer to it as Agana but we seem to be a diminishing tribe so I will try to use Hagatna, but if I slip please forgive me.
Centrally located, this is scenic village offers a variety of cultural, historical, and religious sites. Many impressive buildings remain from the 333 year era of Spanish rule. One of the only spots above Hagatna with an unobstructed view of north-central Guam and the surrounding waters is Fort Apugan, known locally as Fort Santa Agueda. The fort is the sole survivor of Spanish era forts in Hagatna. You may also want to include a visit to Latte Stone Park in your itinerary. Latte stone are pillars are believed to have provided the support to ancient Chamorro houses built as early as 500 AD. Unique to the Marianas, they comprise two
pieces: a halagi, or supporting column made from coral limestone; and a capstone, known as a tasa, made from coral heads. The bones and important possessions of the ancient Chamorros were buried beneath the stones and remain untouched. There are other sights of interest in neighboring East Agana and Agana Heights, and both of these towns continue to have "Agana" in their names. ???
etfromnc's Related Pages
Hagatna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capital of Guam"
- "Hagatna- Capital city of Guam"
- "Capital city of Guam"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hagatna
- Transportation in Hagatna
- Nightlife in Hagatna
- Restaurants in Hagatna
- Shopping in Hagatna
- Warnings and Dangers in Hagatna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hagatna
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Hagatna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hagatna
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 37 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo