"I Despise American Media" Mazar-e Sharif by etfromnc

Mazar-e Sharif Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 33 photos

American Media

I have a very dear British friend who has twice now accused me of being unpatriotic because of my heading for this page. No-one else has responded to it in either way but I want to let anyone who reads this and does not know me know that nothing could be further from the truth. If I did not love my country, I certainly would not have spent 20+ years in her defense. I have visited at least 47 countries now and I always return to America, and hope that I always shall. American media is by no means America, nor, in most cases, does it represent mainstream Americans. American media and Hollywood are two of the most definite reasons that people from other countries think that the vast majority of Americans are vile, greedy, malicious, etc. While those and other evils are growing across America, the vast majority of Americans believe in live-and-let-live, work to support their families, and believe in a loving, merciful God.

The reason that I picked my Mazar-e Sharif page to lash out against American media was that you cannot pick up a newspaper nor turn on a TV without being bombarded by our media telling us how much everyone in the world hates Americans (and especially that you cannot possibly survive a trip to Afghanistan or Iraq without an entire batallion of bodyguards) and I finally just got fed up with it. I know that I could be killed in Afghanistan (I had a dear friend who was killed in Kandahar just a couple months after we came home.) but there are also a lot of places in Charlotte where one puts his/her life in danger just by walking the streets. There are probably places in each of the places where I have been that are dangerous (acemj was assaulted in one of my favorite countries and my oldest brother is the only man I know who is easier to get along with than acemj.) but that is not what I choose to emphasize and I remain delighted that I had the opportunity to spend over two weeks in Afghanistan although the American media would have scared me away had I listened to their drivel.

• Pros:The people are truly wonderful!!
  • Cons:It takes waaaaay too long to get there
  • In a nutshell:It was really tough to leave; when can I go back?
  • Last visit to Mazar-e Sharif: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 29, 2008

• Mozumbus's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2011 at 12:17 AM

thanks for sharing your thoughts here

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2009 at 7:10 AM

You've had lots of exciting adventures I must say! Good for you

• afrette's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2008 at 11:55 AM

I do not doubt etfromnc's patriotism as I knew him as a serving USAF officer. I just question the wisdom of despising a media which is far freer than most others in the world.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2008 at 1:50 AM

Well deserved congrats (and envy!) on yr trip!Look forward to the rest of your page and pics?All the best.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2007 at 8:41 PM

You made it!! Merry Christmas, Ed!

• Dec 23, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Hi there Ed. I read two books this past month that were set in Afghanishtan and am curious what your views and experinces of the country were like. Speak more soon, Marina

etfromnc

“Too blessed to be stressed”

Badges & Stats in Mazar-e Sharif

Have you been to Mazar-e Sharif?