"I Despise American Media" Mazar-e Sharif by etfromnc
Mazar-e Sharif Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 33 photos
I have a very dear British friend who has twice now accused me of being unpatriotic because of my heading for this page. No-one else has responded to it in either way but I want to let anyone who reads this and does not know me know that nothing could be further from the truth. If I did not love my country, I certainly would not have spent 20+ years in her defense. I have visited at least 47 countries now and I always return to America, and hope that I always shall. American media is by no means America, nor, in most cases, does it represent mainstream Americans. American media and Hollywood are two of the most definite reasons that people from other countries think that the vast majority of Americans are vile, greedy, malicious, etc. While those and other evils are growing across America, the vast majority of Americans believe in live-and-let-live, work to support their families, and believe in a loving, merciful God.
The reason that I picked my Mazar-e Sharif page to lash out against American media was that you cannot pick up a newspaper nor turn on a TV without being bombarded by our media telling us how much everyone in the world hates Americans (and especially that you cannot possibly survive a trip to Afghanistan or Iraq without an entire batallion of bodyguards) and I finally just got fed up with it. I know that I could be killed in Afghanistan (I had a dear friend who was killed in Kandahar just a couple months after we came home.) but there are also a lot of places in Charlotte where one puts his/her life in danger just by walking the streets. There are probably places in each of the places where I have been that are dangerous (acemj was assaulted in one of my favorite countries and my oldest brother is the only man I know who is easier to get along with than acemj.) but that is not what I choose to emphasize and I remain delighted that I had the opportunity to spend over two weeks in Afghanistan although the American media would have scared me away had I listened to their drivel.
- Pros:The people are truly wonderful!!
- Cons:It takes waaaaay too long to get there
- In a nutshell:It was really tough to leave; when can I go back?
etfromnc's Related Pages
Mazar-e Sharif Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mazar, Capital of the North"
- "What comes to mind when you think of Mazar?"
- "I Despise American Media"
- "The streets of Mazar"
- "Mazar e Sharif"
- "The Blue Mosque"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mazar-e Sharif
- Hotels in Mazar-e Sharif
- Transportation in Mazar-e Sharif
- Restaurants in Mazar-e Sharif
- Shopping in Mazar-e Sharif
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mazar-e Sharif
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Mazar-e Sharif?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mazar-e Sharif
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 98 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 37 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Matthews Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Groom Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Minneapolis Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Heraklion Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macon Intro, 11 reviews, 1 photo
- Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos