"Venice" Venice by florry
Venice Travel Guide: 8,409 reviews and 22,535 photos
Venice is a city in northern Italy which is renowned for the beauty of its setting, its architecture and its artworks. It is the capital of the Veneto region. In 2009, there were 270,098 people residing in Venice's comune (the population estimate of 272,000 inhabitants includes the population of the whole Comune of Venezia; around 60,000 in the historic city of Venice (Centro storico); 176,000 in Terraferma (the Mainland), mostly in the large frazioni of Mestre and Marghera; 31,000 live on other islands in the lagoon). Together with Padua and Treviso, the city is included in the Padua-Treviso-Venice Metropolitan Area (PATREVE) (population 1,600,000).
The name is derived from the ancient Veneti people who inhabited the region by the 10th century B.C. The city historically was the capital of the Venetian Republic. Venice has been known as the "La Dominante", "Serenissima", "Queen of the Adriatic", "City of Water", "City of Masks", "City of Bridges", "The Floating City", and "City of Canals". Luigi Barzini described it in The New York Times as "undoubtedly the most beautiful city built by man". Venice has also been described by the Times Online as being one of Europe's most romantic cities.
The city stretches across 117 small islands in the marshy Venetian Lagoon along the Adriatic Sea in northeast Italy. The saltwater lagoon stretches along the shoreline between the mouths of the Po (south) and the Piave (north) Rivers.
The Republic of Venice was a major maritime power during the Middle Ages and Renaissance, and a staging area for the Crusades and the Battle of Lepanto, as well as a very important center of commerce (especially silk, grain and spice trade) and art in the 13th century up to the end of the 17th century. This made Venice a wealthy city throughout most of its history. It is also known for its several important artistic movements, especially the Renaissance period. Venice has played an important role in the history of symphonic and operatic music, and it is the birthplace of Antonio Vivaldi.
Venice can be compared to a one big adventure. Once you are caught in the winding and seemingly endless streets and bridges of confusion, you would have no other choice but to keep on walking
- Pros:Beautiful buildings,canals,people,food,streets,bridges,history
- Cons:Some parts have far to many tourists
- In a nutshell:Cant ge enough of it:)
There loads of little shops where you can find unique masks. In a lot of shops you can buy cheaper ones and they nice... more travel advice
florry's Related Pages
Venice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
- "Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
- "Venice – the City of Art"
- "Vacations in Venice"
- "MERAVIGLIOSA VENEZIA"
- "Giacomo CASANOVA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venice
- Hotels in Venice
- Transportation in Venice
- Nightlife in Venice
- Restaurants in Venice
- Shopping in Venice
- Warnings and Dangers in Venice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Venice
- 3 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venice
- updated a Venice Travel Page "Venice"
- Posted in Travel Malcesine Forum "What to see"
- Wrote a Review Murano Glass and Venetian Masks about Venetian Masks (carnival etc) in Venice Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Murano Glass and Venetian Masks"
- Commented on one of TOPSHELFPUBCRAWLER's Venice travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Ireland Intro, 43 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 40 reviews, 105 photos, 7 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 18 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 3 reviews, 74 photos, 6 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 4 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torrox Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 3 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Trinidad Intro, 3 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Varadero Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos