"Hello Dali" Dali by melosh
Dali Travel Guide: 220 reviews and 703 photos
Ancient Dali would be right near the top of the list of Chinese town-city areas that seem to be living for the tourist trade. The separation from Dali City also known as Xiguen (25 minutes) seems to highlight this character. Most of the tourists seen during the winter are Chinese. The street activity has a very touristic feel with picture taking and quick snacks. The number of Chinese tour groups was not great.
Many shop prices are jacked way up for the tourist trade, but do come down fairly quickly if you show a little interest but a lot of price reluctance.
Inside the city walls are many restaurants, small hotels, shops, and bars.
There are also some more normal institutions including a hospital of traditional medicine, several schools, and a military post but one is left wondering how long before they are moved outside the city walls to make more room for tourist facilities.
- Pros:Good facilities, easy extension of your visit outside the city
- Cons:There is nothing much to get excited about.
- In a nutshell:Pleasant, "China lite", but at least there is no entrance fee.
Even though we arrived in Dali with my Mandarin speaking son, the taxi drivers seems united in asking for a taxi fare... more travel advice
melosh's Related Pages
Dali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old Dali"
- "A great surprise"
- "Mountains, Lake, and Buddhist Monasteries"
- "Clean your shoes, Sir?"
- "Dali, Yunnan"
- "Dali Old Town and The Three Pagodas"
- "Live life in Dali"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dali
- Hotels in Dali
- Transportation in Dali
- Nightlife in Dali
- Restaurants in Dali
- Shopping in Dali
- Warnings and Dangers in Dali
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dali
- 2 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Dali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dali
Photos in DaliSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 44 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dominican Republic Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 15 photos, 4 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 10 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 45 reviews, 9 photos
- Uruguay Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manaus Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liberia Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Haiti Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (18)
Latest Dali hotel reviews