"Roads less traveled in Peru" Top 5 Page for this destination Peru by melosh

Peru Travel Guide: 7,727 reviews and 20,471 photos

In 2002 I spent 16 days on the road in Peru. I loved it, but thought I would not likely be back. Then fate led me back for another two weeks at the end of February and the beginning of March 2004. I loved this visit even more than my first trip and came to believe I would go back again and again for those roads less traveled. It took awhile, but finally in April 2010 I found very cheap tickets that got me to Peru for visits to Iquitos, Lima and Chiclayo.

Lima, in particular, seemed to show significant growth and improvement over the last 8 years. You could even see this on the ride from the airport into the city. The air was clearer and the streets cleaner. Traffic though bad was better than years earlier. During our visit the people also seemed to be much more hopeful about the future.

Check out my "travelogue" which includes some stories and pictures of my first adventure into Peru.

Geography

In the Andes terraced fields combine an impression of the man's industry with natural awe inspiring mountain vistas. Lush Amazon forest and long stretches of tan dry desert separated by green river valleys are other dramatic features of a varied Peruvian geography. Bus travel time only poorly corresponds to the measured distance on a Peruvian map. The longer the journey, the more spectacular will be the sights, but if you are susceptable to motion or altitude sickness, the spectacular sights might not be worth the physical distress a winding mountain road can cause.

Many rare herbs and fruit to experience.

Perhaps because altitude and mountain orientation affect the environment causing there to be a wide variety of microclimates, there is a wide range of plants with dietary and medicinal uses. It was not often that I could see a whole field that demonstrated from afar this biodiversity. Instead the full scope was best seen in a weekend market.

• Pros:Great people off the tourist trail. Food and culture.
  • Cons:Tourists are targets in Lima and Cuzco
  • In a nutshell:Peru is many different countries in one set of borders
  • Last visit to Peru: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 5, 2010

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Hi Bon, a very interesting page! So much information, and I really love the pictures! Peru is my first dream destination in South America :-)

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Thanks to your artistic eye that can appreciate the other artist's eye. Your photos too have absorbed your sensitivity. What a wonderful child and her beautiful pet.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Hi, Bob~! You had a great trip indeed! Good for you!<><><>

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2008 at 5:57 AM

What a wonderful page on Peru-I think the Andes are unbelievably beautiful. That tour of Colca Canyon sounds great. Good tips & Pics. Thanks

• ddbleu's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Loved the stories and the photos. I can't wait to go.

• Apr 29, 2008 at 5:29 AM

Lovely Peru picture

• Jun 1, 2007 at 7:06 PM

grat pages on Peru. it brings back good memmories

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2007 at 2:23 AM

fantastic traveloque! I was sick in every place we visited in Peru but still would not have missed it. Unfortunately all I have are memories as my photos all faded!

• Saagar's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 2:22 AM

Great info and pics! Enjoyed seeing your pages. Thanx for visiting mine, too!

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 10:12 AM

Oh I enjoyed your page so much. Very detailed tips with excellent photos. I love your travel philosophy. Happy birthday from Finland!

melosh

“If you have not been, you can not know.”

Badges & Stats in Peru