"Chile: An easy, comfortable country to visit" Chile by melosh
Chile Travel Guide: 4,891 reviews and 13,536 photos
If you can get past the challenge of street Chilean Spanish, which is fast and off standard with lots of missing sounds and some changes in pronunciation, then you will find Chile a comfortable country to visit. The country seems to work. There is a professionalism about that even includes "non-bribe-able carabineros. Buses, planes and trains seem to follow schedule on time, other activities not so much. Although crime is not unheard of, it does not seem pervasive. Probably most shocking is the fact that you can feel safe in crosswalks --drivers actually stop for pedestrians.
On the surface Chileans seem to be more reserved than most Latin Americans, but once you get beyond this surface coolness, they are as "simpatico" as any. A bottle of Chilean wine can be useful, but a smile and a little initiative works just as well. What I found surprising was the passion (love and hate) held by Chileans about Allende and Pinochet. One lady blamed Allende for destroying the Chile she once knew and replacing it with a Chile characterized by class hatred. She believed Pinochet tried to save Chile, but failed. Others saw Allende as representing social justice and Pinochet injustice and crime. The closest I got to a neutral response to my neutral questions was from one fisherman who said that neither effected his life so he did not care -- but most people seemed to care a lot.
A group of Spanish travelers observed this same thing and commented that in Spain 3 million people were killed in three years, but Spain was over Franco. Perhaps in 10 years, Chile will have moved beyond Allende and Pinochet, but if today's passion is any indication, maybe not.
On the Navimag ferry from Puerto Montt to Natales I had the chance to meet a friendly collection of more than 8 independent travelers headed to Patagonia in the late off season. What was surprising was that each one had a different planned itinerary. What we all realized was that no one had planned enough time to see everything. The idea of a gringo trail did not really seem to apply. It would be more like multiple intersection pathways. Considering how Chile is rather a remote travel destination for most VT members and reaching Patagonia from Santiago requires crossing a lot of latitude, I would advise more strongly than for most countries that a visitor no matter how much time they are planning add extra time if at all possible.
- Pros:The seafood alone is worth the trip.
- Cons:A visit is a bit more expensive than in most of Latin America
- In a nutshell:Chile: desert to glaciers, mountains to ocean
Although Easter Island could be a stopover for some transpacific travelers, for most visitors to Chile it will be the... more travel advice
If you plan to do a lot of bus travel in Chile, you should consider breaking up your bus travel going either north or... more travel advice
melosh's Related Pages
Chile Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CHILE---A Surprising Country!"
- "Chile - A gifted land"
- "Chile - Land of fabulous contrasts"
- "Land of the Guanaco"
- "* A DISTANT BUT FRIENDLY COUNTRY *"
- "Chile - very diverse scenery"
- "Mission : Fireland - Vers la Tiera de Fuego..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chile
- Hotels in Chile
- Transportation in Chile
- Nightlife in Chile
- Restaurants in Chile
- Shopping in Chile
- Warnings and Dangers in Chile
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chile
- 18 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Chile?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chile
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 44 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dominican Republic Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 15 photos, 4 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 10 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 45 reviews, 9 photos
- Uruguay Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manaus Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liberia Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Haiti Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (18)
Top Chile hotels
- Santiago Hotels
- 948 Reviews - 2197 Photos
- Valparaíso Hotels
- 313 Reviews - 835 Photos
- Antofagasta Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 75 Photos
- Torres del Paine Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 294 Photos
- San Pedro de Atacama Hotels
- 223 Reviews - 634 Photos
- Punta Arenas Hotels
- 174 Reviews - 430 Photos
- Arica Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Concepción Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Chuquicamata Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 4 Photos
- Puerto Montt Hotels
- 110 Reviews - 462 Photos
- Osorno Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 53 Photos
- Viña del Mar Hotels
- 106 Reviews - 221 Photos
- Puerto Natales Hotels
- 136 Reviews - 320 Photos
- Pucón Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 136 Photos
- Pichilemu Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 11 Photos