"Mexico for cultural explorers" Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico by melosh
Mexico Travel Guide: 21,480 reviews and 51,383 photos
I have spent so much time in Mexico and love so much about it that my Chicano friends say I am half Mexican. I am living proof that a no-talent can learn Spanish. I sometimes brag that I am the only person to learn Spanish through the US public school system, but this is only partly true since without Mexico I would not speak Spanish. When I spoke French, I had to fight my Mexican accent. When I first arrive in a new Latin country people sometimes think that I am from Mexico until I've adjusted my accent. This happens rarely in Mexico, because I do not look the part. In my opinion, there are only two places to avoid in Mexico -- the border towns and the tourist beaches. I guess the beaches might be OK, but I am from Florida and warm uncrowded beaches are plentiful here.
I hope that my tips and the stories I have placed in travelogues for Mexico and Mexico City will encourage some travelers to get beyond the beaches and big attractions to what I consider the real multicultural Mexico of music, dance, food, people and history. And please, if you do enjoy or even just read my travelogues, let me know.
Best meal: Chiles en Nogada: A seasonal specialty in Puebla consisting of a special large chile, meat and walnut stuffing, a white cream sauce and sprinkled with pomegranites. This is an indescribeable combination of chile, meat, and sweet.
Mexican dish I like which is the least likely to be appreciated on first encounter: Mole Poblano. (13 out of 13 nurses I took on a trip to Mexico did not like their first taste).
Best Song: Llorona. The Oaxacan folk song based on romantic version of a folk myth.
Best exhibition of folk dancing ever: College students from almost every state danced in three plazas, three shows each of a 2 day free festival of dance which I saw in Morelia sponsored by SEP the week before the night of the dead. If I could find out when and where it would be happening again, it would be worth a trip just to see it.
Best state for arts and crafts: Oaxaca.
Most beautiful women of Mexico: Tehuantepec.
Best Charros: Guadalajara
Best surprise at a temple: Palenque (How could I have not known that there was a tomb inside?)
Best but least seen Mexican Murals:
Check out the Hacienda de Educacion in Mexico City.
- Pros:People, food, music, culture, history, complexity
- Cons:Too many people, Too much polution,
- In a nutshell:There is so much to be learned, one visit will never be enough.
Music can be found all over Mexico. For years I always just listened to the music when purchased by others or when free... more travel advice
Due to globalization or whatever, many tourist market items are imported even in countries with low manufacturing costs.... more travel advice
- See All Suckered to the "perfect" place?
- See All Cuota roads
- See All Rosaries for Catholic friends
- Sunday afternoon with the family
melosh's Related Pages
Mexico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mexican medley"
- "LA MAGIA DE MEXICO"
- "Mexico for cultural explorers"
- "A week in Banderas Bay"
- "Yucatan and Chiapas"
- "AHHHH, Mexico!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mexico
- Hotels in Mexico
- Transportation in Mexico
- Nightlife in Mexico
- Restaurants in Mexico
- Shopping in Mexico
- Warnings and Dangers in Mexico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mexico
- 63 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 395 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Mexico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mexico
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 44 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dominican Republic Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 15 photos, 4 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 10 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 45 reviews, 9 photos
- Uruguay Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manaus Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liberia Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Haiti Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues