"Mexico for cultural explorers" Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico by melosh

Mexico Travel Guide: 21,173 reviews and 50,597 photos

Since I love Mexico, I believe you will too.

I have spent so much time in Mexico and love so much about it that my Chicano friends say I am half Mexican. I am living proof that a no-talent can learn Spanish. I sometimes brag that I am the only person to learn Spanish through the US public school system, but this is only partly true since without Mexico I would not speak Spanish. When I spoke French, I had to fight my Mexican accent. When I first arrive in a new Latin country people sometimes think that I am from Mexico until I've adjusted my accent. This happens rarely in Mexico, because I do not look the part. In my opinion, there are only two places to avoid in Mexico -- the border towns and the tourist beaches. I guess the beaches might be OK, but I am from Florida and warm uncrowded beaches are plentiful here.
I hope that my tips and the stories I have placed in travelogues for Mexico and Mexico City will encourage some travelers to get beyond the beaches and big attractions to what I consider the real multicultural Mexico of music, dance, food, people and history. And please, if you do enjoy or even just read my travelogues, let me know.

One man's list of Mexico's Best

Best meal: Chiles en Nogada: A seasonal specialty in Puebla consisting of a special large chile, meat and walnut stuffing, a white cream sauce and sprinkled with pomegranites. This is an indescribeable combination of chile, meat, and sweet.
Mexican dish I like which is the least likely to be appreciated on first encounter: Mole Poblano. (13 out of 13 nurses I took on a trip to Mexico did not like their first taste).
Best Song: Llorona. The Oaxacan folk song based on romantic version of a folk myth.
Best exhibition of folk dancing ever: College students from almost every state danced in three plazas, three shows each of a 2 day free festival of dance which I saw in Morelia sponsored by SEP the week before the night of the dead. If I could find out when and where it would be happening again, it would be worth a trip just to see it.
Best state for arts and crafts: Oaxaca.
Most beautiful women of Mexico: Tehuantepec.
Best Charros: Guadalajara
Best surprise at a temple: Palenque (How could I have not known that there was a tomb inside?)
Best but least seen Mexican Murals:
Check out the Hacienda de Educacion in Mexico City.

• Pros:People, food, music, culture, history, complexity
  • Cons:Too many people, Too much polution,
  • In a nutshell:There is so much to be learned, one visit will never be enough.
  • Last visit to Mexico: Aug 2002
  • Intro Updated Jun 8, 2009

• Gatopardo's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2010 at 7:56 AM

I see your point about "You care, but don't want to be played for a fool." My mother makes random questions to the people who are begging on the street, she offers them a job, some answers have contained: "no thanks I earn more here."

• mim95's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Very comprehensive tips! I learned a lot about Mexico, hopefully, I can visit this country some day.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2006 at 1:49 PM

Bob, you really do know Mexico- your tips are great! Like you I love Mexico and am planning my next trip - Merida with side trips to Uxmal, caves, Celestun for starters. Can't wait! Brushing up on the espanol, too! Relearning more like it lol!

• susanpingu's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 8:15 PM

Best bargaining tips. Hope those vendors are not reading your tips, too. Your Mexico page is great!

• CatherineCG's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2006 at 7:00 PM

Yes, verdad, muscians love to be appreciated. (a latent piano player's comment!)....going on to your next page....

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2005 at 7:18 PM

You have great tips - and I see you like one of the restaurants I like (la Fonda del Recuerdo)

• alza's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2005 at 8:03 AM

Vale! lots of useful info here, thank you! Never had a problem with mordida yet, maybe cos I look innocent & oblivious, while I'm not... LOL Anyway, I'm warned. And prepared to enjoy Mexico more than ever! :-)

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2005 at 8:28 PM

I enjoyed your tips. We just returned from two weeks in Progreso and Mérida and now wish to learn Spanish, and more about Mexico.

melosh Visits Here Frequently!

melosh

“If you have not been, you can not know.”

Badges & Stats in Mexico