"Mexico for cultural explorers" Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico by melosh
Mexico Travel Guide: 20,734 reviews and 48,676 photos
I have spent so much time in Mexico and love so much about it that my Chicano friends say I am half Mexican. I am living proof that a no-talent can learn Spanish. I sometimes brag that I am the only person to learn Spanish through the US public school system, but this is only partly true since without Mexico I would not speak Spanish. When I spoke French, I had to fight my Mexican accent. When I first arrive in a new Latin country people sometimes think that I am from Mexico until I've adjusted my accent. This happens rarely in Mexico, because I do not look the part. In my opinion, there are only two places to avoid in Mexico -- the border towns and the tourist beaches. I guess the beaches might be OK, but I am from Florida and warm uncrowded beaches are plentiful here.
I hope that my tips and the stories I have placed in travelogues for Mexico and Mexico City will encourage some travelers to get beyond the beaches and big attractions to what I consider the real multicultural Mexico of music, dance, food, people and history. And please, if you do enjoy or even just read my travelogues, let me know.
Best meal: Chiles en Nogada: A seasonal specialty in Puebla consisting of a special large chile, meat and walnut stuffing, a white cream sauce and sprinkled with pomegranites. This is an indescribeable combination of chile, meat, and sweet.
Mexican dish I like which is the least likely to be appreciated on first encounter: Mole Poblano. (13 out of 13 nurses I took on a trip to Mexico did not like their first taste).
Best Song: Llorona. The Oaxacan folk song based on romantic version of a folk myth.
Best exhibition of folk dancing ever: College students from almost every state danced in three plazas, three shows each of a 2 day free festival of dance which I saw in Morelia sponsored by SEP the week before the night of the dead. If I could find out when and where it would be happening again, it would be worth a trip just to see it.
Best state for arts and crafts: Oaxaca.
Most beautiful women of Mexico: Tehuantepec.
Best Charros: Guadalajara
Best surprise at a temple: Palenque (How could I have not known that there was a tomb inside?)
Best but least seen Mexican Murals:
Check out the Hacienda de Educacion in Mexico City.
- Pros:People, food, music, culture, history, complexity
- Cons:Too many people, Too much polution,
- In a nutshell:There is so much to be learned, one visit will never be enough.
Music can be found all over Mexico. For years I always just listened to the music when purchased by others or when free... more travel advice
Due to globalization or whatever, many tourist market items are imported even in countries with low manufacturing costs.... more travel advice
- See All Suckered to the "perfect" place?
- See All Cuota roads
- See All Rosaries for Catholic friends
- Sunday afternoon with the family
melosh's Related Pages
Mexico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mexican medley"
- "TIPS FOR TRAVELERS TO MEXICO"
- "LA MAGIA DE MEXICO"
- "Mexico for cultural explorers"
- "A week in Banderas Bay"
- "La Venta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mexico
- Hotels in Mexico
- Transportation in Mexico
- Nightlife in Mexico
- Restaurants in Mexico
- Shopping in Mexico
- Warnings and Dangers in Mexico
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mexico
- 62 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 379 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Mexico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mexico
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: feels like spam everytime I..."
- updated a Mexico Travelogue "Intro to culture, where to live or visit, FAQ"
- Wrote a Review Suckered to the "perfect" place? in Mexico Tourist Traps
- Commented on one of madamx's Mexico travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mariachi music for free"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 44 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dominican Republic Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 15 photos, 4 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 10 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 45 reviews, 9 photos
- Uruguay Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manaus Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liberia Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Haiti Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (18)
Top Mexico hotels
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 774 Reviews - 1734 Photos
- Cabo San Lucas Hotels
- 714 Reviews - 1256 Photos
- Puerto Vallarta Hotels
- 1126 Reviews - 1909 Photos
- San José del Cabo Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 118 Photos
- Mexico City Hotels
- 2111 Reviews - 4387 Photos
- Akumal Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 146 Photos
- Tijuana Hotels
- 640 Reviews - 1027 Photos
- Puerto Morelos Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Acapulco Hotels
- 361 Reviews - 692 Photos
- Puerto Peñasco Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 303 Photos
- Tulum Hotels
- 450 Reviews - 1320 Photos
- Manzanillo Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Mazatlán Hotels
- 468 Reviews - 777 Photos
- Ensenada Hotels
- 290 Reviews - 632 Photos