United States of America Sports & Outdoors Tips by melosh
United States of America Sports & Outdoors: 47 reviews and 63 photos
Playing a game of baseball (or softball --same game, larger ball) might be difficult to arrange for a tourist but there are enthusiasts who have made seeing all the teams a theme for travels around the USA. If you are from Japan, Taiwan or Latin America this might be appealing. If you play the game look to parks especially on weekends and holidays.
It used to be said that baseball was the national sport of the USA. It was called the American pastime. It is a pastoral sport with no time clock. It was originally played in the commons areas in towns or villages, or fields in the countryside. (Thus the idea of it being "pastoral" as in from the pasture.) It has spread to Japan and Latin America where the fans are perhaps more intense.
When I was young I loved to play baseball, but at least in America it is not for me a great game to just watch. On the other hand it does allow lots of time to talk with your friends or with the people sitting around you. I would certainly recommend for a serious visitor to the USA to experience at least one game, mostly to experience the people. (see tip)
My father who was an engineer deeply involved in mathematics and the physics of structures and materials seemed to really enjoy meeting all the people sitting around him at a game. He somehow would get them to open up and tell him all about their lives. People responded to his curiosity. It always surprised me how well he connected with people considering how little his work had to do with people. As a foreign visitor, I am sure you would find it easy to connect with Americans at a game. All you would have to do is ask someone how the game is played.
Equipment: Why buy gear when you can always borrow what you need?
Theme: Sports Watching
You do not need a guide, or pack horses. There are lots of well marked trails some in national parks, other in state parks and some through other public lands. The dangers are limited because of the relative benign nature of the wildlife. There are exceptions in some areas where one can find are rattle snakes, grizzly bears or ticks, etc. There are lengths and difficulties to match almost all abilities and interests.
Equipment: Light weight gear is readily available as is light trail food. Buy what you need before you get to the wilderness areas to save a lot of money. Even the large discount stores like Wal-mart and K-mart have pretty extensive selections of gear at good prices.
Directions: Almost all the large national parks have trails. A favorite long trail that can be done in whole or in just small sections is the Appalachian trail.
More Reviews (43)
- See All Internet Cafes as gambling fronts 2012
- See All Getting the best price on a car rental
- See All With the dollar down, where are the...
- See All Black Friday
- See All Chirstmas or is it Xmas?
melosh's Related Pages
United States of America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BASAIC's USA Page"
- "A constant work in progress"
- "United States: A Melting Pot"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Saying Goodbye to the United States of America"
- "THE UNITED STATES"
- "USA - several trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United States of America
- Hotels in United States of America
- Transportation in United States of America
- Nightlife in United States of America
- Restaurants in United States of America
- Shopping in United States of America
- Warnings and Dangers in United States of America
- See All...
Explore the World
- Auerbach Hotels
- Diablo Heights Hotels
- Danau Cangkuang Hotels
- Sandpoint Hotels
- Bohol Sports & Outdoors
- Pulau Perhentian Kecil Sports & Outdoors
- Fethiye Sports & Outdoors
- Athens Sports & Outdoors
- Karting Hezemans Eindhoven
- Bend Sports & Outdoors
- Bangladesh Sports & Outdoors
- Évora Sports & Outdoors
- Jai Alai Games
- Grand Bahama Island Sports & Outdoors
- Cobourg Sports & Outdoors
Badges & Stats in United States of America
- 55 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 27 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States of America
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: feels like spam everytime I..."
- Wrote a Review Internet Cafes as gambling fronts 2012 in United States of America Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rent an ocean front house in Northern California"
- updated a United States of America Travel Page "USA special tips for foreign visitors"
Photos in United States of AmericaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 44 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dominican Republic Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 15 photos, 4 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 10 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 45 reviews, 9 photos
- Uruguay Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manaus Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liberia Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Haiti Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (18)
Top United States of America hotels
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15551 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8353 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Key West Hotels
- 2023 Reviews - 3974 Photos
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9094 Reviews - 19127 Photos
- Honolulu Hotels
- 1987 Reviews - 4709 Photos
- Miami Beach Hotels
- 1031 Reviews - 2075 Photos
- Chicago Hotels
- 5832 Reviews - 11868 Photos
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4336 Reviews - 8580 Photos
- New Orleans Hotels
- 4159 Reviews - 7175 Photos
- Atlanta Hotels
- 1477 Reviews - 2638 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 655 Reviews - 1372 Photos
- Kissimmee Hotels
- 181 Reviews - 351 Photos