"A river city without glamour" Santarém by melosh
Santarém Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 52 photos
I will admit that when I first arrived in Santarem I was not particularly impressed. There was a very long river front with many transport boats, but not much in the way of architecture. It seemed like a rather ordinary city with lots of stores, but only a few places with arts and crafts. A bunch of the restaurants and the Museo do Indio recommended by Lonely Planet were closed. Plus, I was visiting when the river was high so the famous beaches were covered with water.
It was only at about sunset that the joggers, strollers, children, street vendors, a carnival type drill team and even some musicians made the Malecon come alive. The outdoor cafes came alive after the heat eased. There were men fishing from the riverside and others with nets fishing from small boats further out. Transport boats came and left the city. I started to enjoy the people who seemed guininely friendly. It reminded me that sometimes you have to take a little time to experience the friendly feel of a smaller town.
After a big city like Manaus, and before another big city, Belem, Santarem seemed relaxed and of a human size. It also seemed more isolated. This lady at the municipal museum was characteristic of the type of friendliness I encountered. She also spoke a very clean, educated and slower Portuguese that I could understand much better than the street and boat language I experienced in other places.
- Pros:A more personal place than Manaus or Belem
- Cons:Except for the beaches, nothing dramatic here
- In a nutshell:Others might visit for the beaches, I liked the people.
I was told that the boat I took from Manaus to Santarem which arrives in Santarem early in the morning would stay in... more travel advice
These are the two artisan craft shops in Santarem. There are also several shops around the plaza in Alter Do Chao. There... more travel advice
melosh's Related Pages
Santarém Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santarem - Pearl of River Tapajos"
- "A river city without glamour"
- "Pleasant stop between Manaus and Macapá"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santarém
- Hotels in Santarém
- Transportation in Santarém
- Nightlife in Santarém
- Restaurants in Santarém
- Shopping in Santarém
- Warnings and Dangers in Santarém
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santarém
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Santarém?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santarém
Photos in SantarémSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 44 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dominican Republic Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 15 photos, 4 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 10 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 45 reviews, 9 photos
- Uruguay Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manaus Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liberia Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Haiti Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues