"Grand Teton or Grand Tetons ?" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park by JLBG
Grand Teton National Park Travel Guide: 314 reviews and 925 photos
Grand Teton National Park was on our way from Yellowstone to the Grand Canyon. We had planned to spend one day in order to pay a visit to that scenic National Park. That was of course not enough to perform long hikes but our time was limited and that allowed to have a glimpse.
Shoshone Indians call these mountains the "Hoary Headed Fathers", but when the French trappers of the Hudson Bay Company came upon they called them "Les Trois Tétons" as they found that they looked like breasts ("tétons"). They are also called "The Three Paps", "The Three ***" or "The Pilot Knobs". Amazingly, the name of the park is "Grand Teton National Park" while the mountains are the "Grand Tetons" (with an S). Has anybody an explanation to this shift from the plural to the singular?
Haha ! I would never had guessed that such a nice word as "T*ts" would be a forbidden word and would become " *** " ! As it is the exact translation of "Tétons", I understand why the French word was kept :-)))
As there are so many bear (though we have not seen any !) the Park has installed bear proof garbage cans. They are made... more travel advice
Yellow-headed Blackbird (Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus) is a bird that is normally found only in northern America though... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Grand Teton National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tall Tales from the Grand Tetons"
- "Majestic Mountains and Moose!"
- "These Mountains cannot be ignored!"
- "Grand Teton or Grand Tetons ?"
- "Grand Teton N.P. - the highest of the Rockies"
- "Best thing about Grand Teton NP? The Locals...."
- "Mountain grandeur"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Teton National Park
- Hotels in Grand Teton National Park
- Transportation in Grand Teton National Park
- Nightlife in Grand Teton National Park
- Restaurants in Grand Teton National Park
- Shopping in Grand Teton National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Teton National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Teton National Park
- 19 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Grand Teton National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Teton National Park
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Grand Teton National Park travel pages
- updated a Grand Teton National Park Travel Page "Grand Teton or Grand Tetons ?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Teton flowers. Identification missing, to come"
- Wrote a Review Bear proof garbage cans in Grand Teton National Park Local Customs
Photos in Grand Teton National ParkSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos