"Grand Teton or Grand Tetons ?" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park by JLBG

Grand Teton National Park Travel Guide: 314 reviews and 925 photos

Grand Teton National Park was on our way from Yellowstone to the Grand Canyon. We had planned to spend one day in order to pay a visit to that scenic National Park. That was of course not enough to perform long hikes but our time was limited and that allowed to have a glimpse.

Shoshone Indians call these mountains the "Hoary Headed Fathers", but when the French trappers of the Hudson Bay Company came upon they called them "Les Trois Tétons" as they found that they looked like breasts ("tétons"). They are also called "The Three Paps", "The Three ***" or "The Pilot Knobs". Amazingly, the name of the park is "Grand Teton National Park" while the mountains are the "Grand Tetons" (with an S). Has anybody an explanation to this shift from the plural to the singular?

Haha ! I would never had guessed that such a nice word as "T*ts" would be a forbidden word and would become " *** " ! As it is the exact translation of "Tétons", I understand why the French word was kept :-)))

Grand Teton National Park is not only mountains for climbers. There are many trails of various length that run across the beautiful forest. We only walked a few of the shorter ones as our time was limited. It was late morning and no animal could be seen.

• Intro Updated Feb 13, 2006

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Indeed, lovely snaps and thanks for sharing your info. I'm heading there next week. Have a wonderful birthday as well.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2009 at 8:58 AM

All your photographs are good enough for postcards. Excellent as well as the tips.

• Jun 10, 2009 at 4:16 AM

Lovely pictures of mountains!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2008 at 5:16 AM

Those Tetons really are very impressive and you have some excellent photos of them here. I found the "all rails" timber fences interesting too.

• Aug 11, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Jean-Louis, you've taken some great photos of the Tetons. I'll be there this time next month and appreciate the views and tips that you have shared.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2007 at 6:31 AM

thanks for the clarification on the "Tetons" and the translation. The mountains are gorgeous. I wished I could have visited the reservation out there, but not enough time. I'd like to be in Jackson Hole when the herds come down to feed in early spring.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2006 at 5:01 PM

Wow.. what a beautiful place. Have to go there one day :)

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2006 at 1:57 PM

Grand Tetons - our favorite park by far. Never tire of returning to this stunning place. Great shot of the range.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2006 at 8:25 AM

Stunning photo at the top of your home page. Can't wait for our trip to the Tetons in September!

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2006 at 12:17 PM

Nice photos! We are going to the Tetons this summer.

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Grand Teton National Park

Have you been to Grand Teton National Park?

Photos in Grand Teton National Park